Saxophone Forum

by saxmaniac
(19 posts)
20 years ago

Recital tips

I've got kind of a weird problem. Primarily I play jazz sax so I don't frequent classical venues or performances too much. I have to play a recital doing some Rossini/Brahms soon, and I'm kinda clueless as far as recital etiquette goes. I just need some tips on the professional way to enter the stage, bow, how to deal with your accompanist, stuff like that. Timely advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by golferguy675
    (600 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Recital tips

Well, in my graduating recital, here's what I remember. You have a program for the people attending the recital. The accompaniest is out there first at the piano for a little bit. Warm up in the back, where no one can see you. Come out, bow, and play your first song. I remember I did not introduce myself, it was basically silent, but music. I played about the first have of the program(2 or 3 good classical pieces). Then, I bowed, walked off stage into the back, the accompaniest stayed out there on the piano bench. After a drink, and a few adjustments, I came out and performed my last songs, bowed, waited for the applause to end, and walked off the stage. Pretty intense, but that was the graduate shit, so I'm guessing there will be less tension in this scenario.

Reply To Post

1. by saxmaniac
      (19 posts)

20 years ago

Thanks for the tips. That recital you did sounds pretty rigid, and the recital I'm doing will be at a library for anyone who wants to attend, so I'm prety sure the atmosphere will be fairly laid back. I'm still not sure about the whole speaking/introductions thing, it seems like there should at least be a little bit of audience interaction on my part to make it more enjoyable (or less, depending on what I say!)

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

20 years ago

Everyone loves a sense of humor. If you can get your hands on a trashed junker horn, tell a story when you first get up there dedicating your performance to your "great uncle Benny" who bought "this horn" when he got home from WWII. While walking over to your stand/mic, fake a trip and drop the junker. It brings great effect if you unsolder the bell so it comes clean off during the fall. Maybe even a few keys guards fall off when you loosen the screws - who knows. If you're really slick, you can catch some old guy before the performance and ask him to play along as you great uncle Benny and have him stand up when you mention him. Maybe not the thing to do at State Honors. Give a good laugh when it's all done and then get your real horn from the side of the stage or behind the periodicals or whatever. If you're going to ring your crowd like this, however, be sure to have your act together so they take you seriously when it's all over and done with.

Reply To Post

1. by saxmaniac
          (19 posts)

20 years ago

Ha ha, that would be a good one. I don't think I'm going to do it on my first recital, but I'll keep it in mind for when I go on tour. Ha, ha.

Reply To Post

2. by wesmiller
          (55 posts)

20 years ago

Hey Saxmaniac: I've played a lot of the types of venues that you are facing. Man keep it light. As far as communicating with the listeners goes; tell them about your instrument (brief historyof the sax). You know. Adolf Sax invented the saxophone on or about 1842 in an attempt to blend the high and low ranges of the orchestra. Instrument has become very popular in jazz, pop, blues and big and today you will be hearing something unique: classical saxophone music. You might want to provide a very brief description of each piece either before or after you play it. Again, keep it light and fun. Not too much of a history lesson. Just informative. I've found people really like this type of interaction. Break a leg and have fun. Hope this helps.

Reply To Post

3. by saxmaniac
          (19 posts)

20 years ago

Good advice, thanks. I'll stay away from the "wave acoustics theory of sound" for this recital then. Ha ha. Thanks again.

Reply To Post