Saxophone Forum

by Rben20
(35 posts)
20 years ago

Selmer Paris II and III

If the chance came up would you switch your selmer SA-80 alto for a Series III alto? Whats the difference in sound cause according to selmer neither replaces each other but it looks like everywhere u turn III is being advertied like crazy. Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by golferguy675
    (600 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Selmer Paris II and III

Hell no. The SA-80 is so much better than the three. The series III is dead sounding. I think the thing is that the series II was a bit bright, so they got complaints, and now the III is too dead. There just isn't that split second echo when you play the thing. I guess you could call it resonation, I dunno. It's got great response and action though. That type of stuff is better probably, but I like the sound of the SA-80 MUCH better.

Reply To Post

1. by spottspidermunki
      (55 posts)

20 years ago

i've never played the sa-80, unfortunately. but i am satisfied w/ the serie3. its a well built horn, and it resonates fairly well. it resonated better and better for the 1st few months i had it. it jus had to break in i suppose. it sounds amazong tho, and the action and such is done very well. its a very regulated horn, and is intonated nicely. i am content with it. i guess i'm saying that i would like to try a SA-80, but the serie3 isn't as bad as people say it is, and on the whole is not a bad buy. Joel ps. if anyone wants to send me a sa-80 free of charge, i would be much obliged. i would even send them a free comparison of the two horns. ;)

Reply To Post AIM

1. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

20 years ago

I love my silver III, but I'm primarily a legit alto guy. It works great for this purpose, but I can see where a jazz/rock player needs something that blows more freely. I wouldn't call it "dead", though. I can see where that impression could occur with someone used to a different horn. I would describe the III as an easily controlled horn - or perhaps that the horn is very controlling, itself. It did take me a while to find the right mouthpiece for it. I'm (finally) extremely happy with the Selmer Paris metal and vintage Larry Teal mouthpieces for classical playing. (The vintage LT's are designed diferently than the new LT's, by the way).

Reply To Post