Saxophone Forum

by smthjazz
(1 post)
20 years ago

Smooth Jazz

Can a style such as "smooth" be more difficult to play than say band music?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by birdwho
    (15 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Smooth Jazz

the only hard part about smooth jazz is having lungs and playing altissimo, because they really dont stretch to far with melodies.

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
      (600 posts)

20 years ago

I strongly dislike smooth jazz, but I'll go ahead and put in my two cents. I agree with birdwho, it doesn't have any hard rythm(just slower straight eigths), and small steps, no big intervals to jump to or from. You just need to be able to play a long line and keep a steady airstream throughout.

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

I think listeners of "band music" are a lot more forgiving about what they hear than the listeners of smooth jazz. So I think that there's a lot more pressure to be "on" in terms of intonation and mode when playing smooth jazz.

Reply To Post

3. by Duke Snider
    (3 posts)

19 years ago

I specialize (compose, produce, perform) in Smooth Jazz on /for the Alto Sax. You need to have an excellent grip and intuition when to "cry" (high end notes) bend, spike, vibrato, creshendo... huge range of dynamics... This type of music style is very much the domain for the maverick / audio artist to flurish in... my webste: www.DukeAndTheBoys.com Bottom line: Smooth Jazz typcially will use any and all instruments of an orchestra, with the Sax as the lead instrument to "bring it home"... I you are more of a traditionalist (non-maverick), this style and genre will likely not be good for your development...

Reply To Post

1. by Spike
      (248 posts)

19 years ago

hehehe, funny terminology! i no longer play jazz, i play "hard bop" hehehehe!

Reply To Post

4. by johnny_hodges
    (15 posts)

19 years ago

mmmmm, SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTH JAZZ\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\---------------........... ..... ... . . . . . . .

Reply To Post

1. by John Coltrane
      (84 posts)

19 years ago

lol... remember jamille... UUHHHH

Reply To Post Yahoo!