Saxophone Forum

by Kitch22
(98 posts)
20 years ago

Jazz Mouthpiece

My private instructor says my tone is too bright, even for jazz(it is probably mostly my silver Custom Z). I am going to order several jazz pieces to try out and eventually purchase a new one. Let me know what u think, considering I want a piece that projects very well and isn't too bright(but brighter than a classical mouthpiece, of course). Some rubber ones I've been thinking about are a Strathon Ajustotone, Otto Link, E. Rousseau, Meyer, Berg Larsen, and Lakey. Tell me what ya know. Thanx!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by SaxMan
    (559 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Jazz Mouthpiece

also try morgan excalibur. The strathon looks like a pretty nice piece...been wnating one just to mess with, but don't have spare dough right now. Don't know aobut rousseaus, but I cant imagine them being in league with the others and lakey is too damn loud and too damn bright....I hate those things. Someone here said they liked the selmer paris jazz metal piece...it is probably pretty good. oh, and also try the new soloist.

Reply To Post

2. by senior
    (23 posts)

20 years ago

I find the Jody Jazz mouthpieces to project well without being overly bright and they are easy to blow.

Reply To Post

3. by Curt G.
    (8 posts)

20 years ago

If your tone is already bright, I'd stay away from the Strathon. A Meyer 5m might "darken" your sound a bit.

Reply To Post