Saxophone Forum

by jushden
(17 posts)
20 years ago

Are the tenny slant sig mold tenor pieces anything like a real otto link slant sig?

ive got a really nice otto link slant sig 7* for tenor and have been thinking about getting a backup mouthpiece that can hang with what i have. this model interests me because it claims to be a slant sig basically. has anyone out there actually played these mouthpieces that has an actual slant sig to compare it with? id be interested to hear what you have to say about these pieces and if you think they compare to the original. thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Are the tenny slant sig mold tenor pieces anything like a real otto link slant sig?

They should offer a return policy, so there would be little to lose by trying it out. If they don't, then I'd stay away. Who knows. Maybe your original will become your back-up.

Reply To Post

1. by jromain
      (20 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Are the tenny slant sig mold tenor pieces anything like a real otto link slant sig?

Hi- Unfortunately, I haven't played an original NY or Florida slant, but I am currently playing one of Doc Tenney's slants, and it is an outstanding piece. Since Link makes them to his specifications, using the original cavity mold used for Florida slants (there were several used at various times, and this one was chosen unanimously by a blind panel of players), and they are hand-finished, I have to imagine they are pretty close to the original, with the added benefit of much greater consistency. Sound is deep, dark, complex, plenty of mid-range, projection of solid sound rather than of perceived highs. I would be interested to hear a side-by-side comparison, certainly. Best regards- JR

Reply To Post

1. by jushden
        (17 posts)

20 years ago

yeah actually i do have alot to lose by ordering one to try out. if i return it its %15 of the original cost which would be like 52 bucks. thats alot just to try out a mouthpiece. sorry saxquest. sounds like the description of the tone is promising though.

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

20 years ago

that sucks that it's 15% of the ori cost... I have two opinons about it. one, it would be nice to be able to try out pieces and not have too much to lose. I would say that $25-30 would be more than enough on the really expensive pieces. But still... that would get expensive and shit. two, having a policy like that prevents little shitts from going around and trying out really expensive pieces when they have no intention of buying one. dunno, that's my .02

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by jushden
          (17 posts)

20 years ago

i think 52 bucks would discourage most players from trying out a mouthpiece unless they had heard really great things from alot of players that really knew what original slants played like. ive played all kinds of copied links and none of them play nearly as well. theres too much doubt to warrent that kind of risk. if it was such a sure thing i wouldnt mind. hence the post.

Reply To Post

2. by coultsax
        (3 posts)

20 years ago

I actually bought one of the Tenneys, because I had a rubber Link from about 20 years ago and have been on a search to get another one like it. It played nothing like it. I found it hard to blow, stuffy, with many various strength and type reeds. The high register (which was so good on my old Link) was terrible. I asked to trade it in against a Lost Wax, but they didn't want to have any part of it. I'm stuck with it. Everybody's different, but this mouthpiece was lousy, and I've been playing a long time.

Reply To Post