Saxophone Forum

by Hexaclon
(90 posts)
20 years ago

Fustrations!

Hey dudes, I'm lately geting really fustrated and it's really bad. It's worst than before, I used to get fustrated like once a month but now its like once a week. Gosh I really hate it. I just wated to know what you guys did to get over it? Thanks Peace Love and music

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by wesmiller
    (55 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Fustrations!

Relax......look at where you're going with your playing overall. Don't look at the day to day small failures you feel that you are having. Look at it this way: lets say you are taking a trip from Florida (Miami) to California (Los Angelos). You have a starting point and a destination ,in between those two points events happen which may cause problems (flat tires, run out of gas, engine blows up, the dog dies :), etc. You still take the trip though and you deal with those problems along the way. You deal with them by planning (Buy AAA, maybe get a better car, fly, leave the dog at home). With your playing you (I) plan by practicing scales in an organized way (daily), etudes, use a metronome (always). This is the planning part of being a musician; it won't make the frustration go away but I bet it will help. The difference between taking a trip and playing music is that in music you never really "arrive", Thats what makes it fun and maddening. Thats what drives everyone forward to do better. So, go back to where you are comfortable: scales, etudes, jazz, whatever and build out slowly from there. Hope this helps. Yours was a tough topic, could feel the confusion in it. Maybe the others will be better able to respond. Peace

Reply To Post

1. by jazzax
      (30 posts)

20 years ago

I've found it very helpful in the past to always spend a little time every day completely breaking from the routine of practice that wesmiller describes above. I'm not sure what kind of music you're trying to play, but it doesn't really matter. Always give yourself a little time to play something you can really nail. I'm into jazz so I always spend a little time freely improvising. Try to express yourself every day. Afterall, that's what all this time spent drilling is for...to get to the essence of YOUR expression. Another thing is give up on trying to be PERFECT all the time. A lot of things come with time. Perfection is a value judgment in music and if we didn't have the nuance of the individual, the little quirks, how vapid and boring it would be. Basically, all I'm saying is always give yourself a little time to enjoy yourself playing. What a wonderful thing to be able to do. Hope this helps.

Reply To Post

1. by Hexaclon
        (90 posts)

20 years ago

I actually got pretty frustrated last night cause in yesterday's gig I tried to play flight of the bumble bee on one of my solos and blew it. I got so mad cause I practiced Flight of the Bumble bee allot. I guess it was the fact that I was nervous. But, what you guys sayd about pushing myself too much, that’s true. You guys made me understand that I should see the good things and not be so pessimist. Thanks allot jazzax &wesmiller. I hope I can help you guys like you helped me. Thanks Peace, Love and Music

Reply To Post AIM

1. by wesmiller
          (55 posts)

20 years ago

Your welcome. I know this sounds like a sappy cliche but I believe it: smart, good players and teachers learn from their students and other young players. When an individual reaches the point that they refuse to listen to the needs, desires and opinions of others they have ceased to grow as an individual and as a musician. We gain strength from those that we help. So, buddy you already helped me by making me focus on a specific problem that was vaguely worded and coated with a layer of anxiety that was at the least "attention getting". Therefore, thank you. Happy 4th

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

Even the greatest jazz players have their "off" moments when things aren't clicking. Don't be too hard on yourself. I'm being serious here, but eventually you'll screw up enough without most folks noticing that you won't be nervous about potential mistakes. 95% of the audience was none the wiser, I'm sure. And the other 5% weren't on stage so screw 'em.

Reply To Post

2. by Kitch22
        (98 posts)

20 years ago

It helps me to look back on when you started and really realize who much you have improved. Then visualize how much of a better saxist you'll be in, say, a year!

Reply To Post

1. by wesmiller
          (55 posts)

20 years ago

Kitch22: Most excellent point! If your caught up in the "now" you can freeze up. Wes

Reply To Post

3. by karebear1012
        (395 posts)

20 years ago

hey, yeah i used to get REALLY frusterated with my playing because I felt like no one thought i was any good or anything. What really helped me was joining as many bands as possible. I just did a summer band, and I feel great about it. I had a solo too, which really boosted my confidence. Also, I began memorized exercises and songs from Charlie Parker's Omnibook. It's really great because people hear it and go "whoa, how long have you been playing?" Just getting compliments from others helps the frusteration go away. Hope this helps, Kara

Reply To Post

1. by saxgrobie
          (86 posts)

20 years ago

When I get frustrated, I like to pull out some songs that I love to play. I'll whip out my Josh Groban Piano book and play the melody line or something. It helps to put a frustrating song away for a little while and just play something you enjoy. That way, you are relaxed when it comes time to go at it again. And just remember how great it feels to play an awesome show. The other day, I was getting really sick of handbells (OK, its not sax, but it still applies) but then we put on an awesome show, and nailed the ending of every song. That high I get from performing is what keeps me going. I love it. Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by sax_maniac
            (984 posts)

20 years ago

Whether playing sax or studying/working, it helps to take a breather if things are getting tense. A tense player has more limitations than one that is relaxed.

Reply To Post