Saxophone Forum

by allaboutsax
(7 posts)
20 years ago

Jazz Mouthpiece

I am an expierienced legit saxophone player but I have taken a liking to jazz recently and I a have a few questions about a decent jazz mouthpiece. I want a piece with a decent amount of edge but not that of the jumbo java and one that i can play fff without having to change embochure. I also wanted to know if the material (metal vs. rubber) made as much of a difference as the chamber facing and baffle.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Jazz Mouthpiece

I was in your shoes about a year ago. I've got the Jumbo Java A55 for a really edgy sound, though it's got plenty of body to it - it's not anorexic 'ala Sanborn. I play a Selmer III, and what I've found as a nice middle ground is the Selmer Paris Metal Jazz mouthpiece. I play the C*, which projects more and plays louder than it's S80 C* cousin - so not all C*'s are created equal. I'm not crazy about the C* facing on the S80, but it works well on the metal jazz piece. I've played the Selmer USA jazz piece, too, but I like the Paris ones better with the rounded baffle as opposed to the straight. The JJ (paint peeler) is hard rubber and the Selmer (a more refined edge) is silver plated brass, so I feel that mouthipece design has WAY more to do with the sound than what it is made of. A dirty little secret is that the Jazz C* works great for legit, too, when using a bell mute. They are very responsive and articulate very cleanly. The responsiveness may be attributed, somewhat to the metal, but I couldn't authoritatively say so. I have a vintage Selmer D (short) metal mpc, and it plays quite brightly and loudly. It doesn't have "Jazz" inscribed on the table like the C* does, but it sure plays like a jazz mpc. I'm not a historian, so I can't tell you too much more about the piece - only what it looks and plays like. So I vote for design over material. Check out www.mouthpieceheaven.com "Resources" for great info.

Reply To Post

1. by allaboutsax
      (7 posts)

20 years ago

Thanks for all your help, I think i will look into getting one of these pieces. I was looking on wwbw they have 3 facings c double star, D, and E. I was wondering if you knew which would be a the best bet for me.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

20 years ago

If WWWB has a decent trial/return policy, I'd have them send you a C** and a D (or even two of each to increase your odds of getting a choice piece) and send back one of them once you've decided. I find the C* facing on my jazz piece open enough for what I need to do, and I like to do a good share of vibrato when I play. The vintage D I've got plays quite a bit louder than the C*, so if you're needing extra volume for any particular reason, then maybe go for the D. If you're coming from a common classical mpc facing, then the E might be quite a leap. Do a trial, though. It's worth the extra $25 or whatever it ends up costing you to have a mouthpiece you will be happy with. I went through 13 different alto mouthpieces before I settled on the Selmer metals and the Vandoren JJ.

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

20 years ago

Well, if you're going to take up jazz somwhat seriously, you should get a private instructor, and here's why. When people have been playin legit for long time play jazz like legit. They wont play on the back beat, they won't swing, they don't have the right eoumbechure for jazz, they tounge everything. I could go on and on and on, but you really need someone to steer you in the right direcion for style, or you'll develop some bad habits. Also get a trial from there for an Otto Link tone edge, or super tone master, they have a really great sound. Try a 6 star, since you're used to small chamber legit pieces.

Reply To Post

2. by Saxman2200
        (64 posts)

20 years ago

I just got into playing jazz last year. And you don't even want to know what I started playing on. But I took the leap for a new Jazz mouthpiece just last month. After asking everybody I knew and doing lots of research I found that the most recomended for a first Jazz Mouthpiece on tenor is the Otto link super tone master (NY model not florida), and for alto it is a meyer 5. If your a little low on cash, try ebay. They have really good deals on good mouthpieces. I got mine for 50 bucks, and it's brand new. I would recomend that you try a metal just because it's different. I like it, it projects a lot better than the hard rubber. And it's alot more free blowing.

Reply To Post

1. by Saxman2200
          (64 posts)

20 years ago

Oh I forgot to mention, if you go for the Otto link, I would recomend the 6* as well.

Reply To Post

3. by birdwho
        (15 posts)

20 years ago

hey man, you might want to check out some of the vandoren mouthpeices. im playing on a small chamber V16 jazz mouthpeice, and it has the cutting presence oh my metal bari W2 8 and the full warm sound of a meyer. produces a nice clear tone in the lower register, almost hints somewhat to your legit style because it allows you to get rid of sloppy subtones when you dont want them, check it out its cheap too less than 100 bucks email me i know a guy who deals them [email protected]

Reply To Post