Saxophone Forum

by Jango
(13 posts)
20 years ago

"Low Pitch Saxophone."

What is a so called, "Low Pitch saxophone?" It looks like a tenor to me.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Spunky2sax75
    (75 posts)

20 years ago

Re: "Low Pitch Saxophone."

I think you are referring to a C Melody sax. It looks like a tenor, but it is 1 step below. It is in the same key as trombone, flute, piano, etc.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
      (559 posts)

20 years ago

not necessarily, everythign was made in high pitch at one time, if it is really damn old it just might be a tenor. I beleive conn used to have an option of high and low pitch in the teens.

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

Here's the scoop - years ago, there was a tuning convention other than A=440. I think it was A=457. This higher frequency was called "high pitch". Various models of saxophones were available in both low and high pitch - mostly before 1930. If you are going after an old horn from that era and want to use it with modern ensembles, you are best to look for low pitched horns which are generally engraved with an "L" or an "LP" near the serial number. The "L" isn't always there, and chances are very high - almost certain - that it is low-pitched. The "Low Pitch saxophone", if it has a tenor-shaped neck, is either a tenor or a C-Melody horn. If i is a C-Melody, there may be a "C" engraved/stamped near the serial number, but not necessarily. Do you want to share a link to some pictures or a listing where ou've seen this horn? We can probably ID it for you as a C or a tenor.

Reply To Post