Saxophone Forum

by PIP
(29 posts)
20 years ago

!!!!!!!!!!FRUSTRATED PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

I have switched from alto to tenor about 6 months ago. On my alto I use a 98 knight w/ a C* mpc, regular rovner lig, and Vandoren 3.5 traditional reeds. I've made all west, many other honor bands, and have been complimented on my tone quite often. When i switche to my Jupiter artist series tenor i tought a similar setup would work so i am using a C*mpc, a rovner eddie daniels lig, and Vandoren 3.5 reeds. However on my tenor i have a very blatty tone, have trouble keeping a pitch steady, and will jump octaves uncontrolably. I don't have enough money to get any new equipment so I'm stuck with what I've got. Is it my eqipment or is it me??????? What can I do about it???????????????PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by golferguy675
    (600 posts)

20 years ago

Re: !!!!!!!!!!FRUSTRATED PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Different horns need different setups. Also, I don't like Jupiter saxophones, they don't play very well(at least the ones I've played). It could lso be you trying to adjust to the tenor mouthpiece eoumbechure right after playing an alto.

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

Assuming you're talking some general variety Selmer mpc (S80, S90) - C* on tenor is more closed (relatively speaking to other mouthpieces) than C* on alto. I find C* on tenor to be too closed for good tone, though it keeps the section quiet. I think this was a secret ploy between band directors and the Selmer company... I recommend trying a C** or D on tenor. Hopefully you can arrange for a trade with the shop you bought it from. If not, maybe you want to explore the insane trade of mouthpiece refacing and have the C* opened up a bit. Not the kind of thing I recommend to just anyone unless they are mechanically inclined, have a steady hand, and can afford to buy a new mouthpiece in the event it becomes totally trashed. If you reach that point, contact me and I'll fix it up for you if it's not too mangled.

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
      (767 posts)

20 years ago

The problems you describe can be attributed to the following possiblilities: (octave jumps) Embrochure too tight. Leak somewhere on the instrument, likely the upper stack. Is it one or a few notes in particular that cause the octave jump? Poor mouthpiece facing, uneven rails, warped table, etc. (blatty tone) I've never tried a C* opening on Tenor, but i've heard more than one player complain about it being 'too closed' for tenor, wereas it tends to be rather comfortable for many on alto. I play Selmer pieces on Tenor, mostly for concert and classical work, and like the 'E' facing (I have a Metal Classic and a new Soloist).

Reply To Post

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
      (767 posts)

20 years ago

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I think this was a secret ploy between band directors and the Selmer company ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- It seems to be a case of perpetual mistaken identity by those that don't know any better. The poorly-used term "C-Star" has been in use long before the squared-chambered S80 was even developed. Back before then, the "C-Star" term that everyone was in the sloppy habit of refering to was actually the Soloist C*, and when the soloist was discontinued the S80 inherited the misnomer.

Reply To Post

3. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

20 years ago

You might also try a different brand reed (maybe slightly softer) on the Tenor (for just a while) until your muscles can learn the difference required in the embouchure between Tenor and Alto. The harder reed requires a tighter embouchure which may be too tight for the Tenor and the mouthpiece you're using. I went the other direction, from Tenor to Alto (for voicing purposes in a small band), which I think may be slightly easier. It's easier to tighten up on something when you're having trouble, than to relax.

Reply To Post

1. by Saxman2200
      (64 posts)

20 years ago

I switch from Tenor to Alto, and back again every day, you just have to get used to the different embouchure, just try to consentrate on it because your tighter alto embouchure is second nature. Pretend it's a completly different instrument untill you get used to it.

Reply To Post