Saxophone Forum

by juancamoresax
(3 posts)
20 years ago

learning sax

where can I download a tutorial how to play alto sax???

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by SATBSaxRH
    (11 posts)

20 years ago

Re: learning sax

If you're planning to learn saxophone, its best not to do it off of an internet download. The best thing to do is to find a good teacher in the area. It's really important that you have an example to follow, or else how will you know if you're playing with correct technique. Its best to hear a good sax sound, not read about, or else you end up forming your own conception of the proper sound

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
      (984 posts)

20 years ago

Amen to that!!! If you don't start out with some personal instruction, you risk developing habits that may be hard to overcome later on and you'll end up needing lessons anyways. So go ahead and cruise around the internet and you're sure to come across some basic tutorials - just know that it takes lots of practice and a good share of guidance to turn a saxophone from a "goose horn" into a musical instrument. Good Luck to you! If you are really looking to go the cheap route, get yourself an Elementary Rubank "Blue Book" and work with the lesson plan and included fingering chart. Also get Larry Teal's "Art of Playing Saxophone". It has lots of good information to help you understand basic posture, embouchre, instrument care, etc. Most beginning sax players should ignore the internet except for perhaps some basic advice - and then hope you come across folks that know what they are talking about. As soon as you are having problems with stuffy notes or intonation problems, only a knowledgeable player with you and the horn in front of them can accurately resolve the issues you will encounter. You will only be able to go so far without sitting down with a decent instructor. Even if you are a prodigy, by nature, don't deny yourself formal training unless you don't care about how good a player you will become.

Reply To Post

2. by ChicagoJammer
      (1 post)

19 years ago

Hi, hope you won't mind a comment from a newbie alto sax guy. I think you're right..and you're not! Yes, technique is important for playing any instrument well. As for hearing a good sax sound, well, I've got lots of them stashed in my head...perhaps you could be more specific? I'm a violin student as well but the (free) school I attend only allows ONE course of study at a time, so I really have no alternative re: finding a good teacher. Forming one's own conception of the proper sound...isn't that precisely what professionals do? After all, it's practice practice practice what gives you the tools and technique to play. The idea of having an example to follow is exactly the opposite of what my violin instructress espouses; I Have asked her to play passages so I might 'get a feel' for them (which is what you're referring to re: correct technique / sound, yes?) but she dismisses that as being preCISEly what one should not do, saying..."how can you expect to sound like yourSELF if you play like someone Else?". I haven't found a good reply for that one yet. Ideas? Thanks.

Reply To Post

2. by brant111
    (1 post)

20 years ago

how do i lern how to play the alto

Reply To Post

1. by SeargantSax
      (2 posts)

20 years ago

Find someone with good experience! Try to find someone that has gone to that person before and ask them if they are a good teacher or not! Your family will most likely hate you until about a year or two after you have begun playing it because it sounds really bad at first with no prior playing history! But once you have played a few years you get better at and develop pretty good technique. I myself have played...this being my fifth year! I only play alto right now but if I am not mistaken all of the keys and fingerings are the same on all of the saxaphones! The most important thing to keep in mind when learning to play an instrument is that you never give up! You may not be the next Bach of the 21st Century but music is a great learning experience! Just think what would have happened if people like Dave Brubeck or Dave Coz would have given up on their love for music!

Reply To Post

1. by juancamoresax
        (3 posts)

19 years ago

thank you very much for your device, it helped a lot for me, I'm studing so hard. thanks again.

Reply To Post