Saxophone Forum

by Hexaclon
(90 posts)
20 years ago

Have a question about selmer mouthpieces.

Hi, Im going to start on playing classical now. So I was planning on getting a selmer S 80, but I have a question. Is the E facing biger than the C*? Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by golferguy675
    (600 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Have a question about selmer mouthpieces.

Yes, the E facing is bigger than the S 80. I wouldn't use an S 80 if I were you. I don't like the square chambers at all, I don't know why Selmer did that. Why would you use a square chamber mouthpiece on a neck opening that is round?

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
      (767 posts)

20 years ago

I don't disslike the S80 as much as some, but I do agree that there are a lot of other mouthpieces to be had and witch should be tried. I've read where a number of mouthpiece experts that the square chamber of the S80 messes with tuning, among other things. From what I can guess, you were told about the S80 by an instructor. They are all the rage in the minds of music instructors for some reason, and they tend to be a decent 'default' step-up piece for concert work. However, if you're going to pay you're own money for the S80, you might as well try it along with some other pieces to make sure you're the one pleased by it's purchase. I can suggest a few that are suitable for concert alto work: Selmer Soloist Vandoren Optimum Try each in as many sized (tip openings) as are available. I find the soloist gives better projection and a darker, more focused sound than the S80. It's very flexible in what you can do with it. The Optimum is darker still with equivalent projection of the S80, but in it's AL3 opening, requires a more openfaced embrochure from myself, yet tone production quite effortless. You could try that or the AL4, which has a slightly more open facing. I also can suggest the Soloist for tenor work, as well as the pricier Metal Classic from Selmer.

Reply To Post

(767 posts)

20 years ago

The complete lack of being able to edit one's post for grammer has me annoyed. Hopefully I won't be mistaken for a slack-jawed child, even though I've typed like one here tonight. :(

Reply To Post

(767 posts)

20 years ago

corrected: I don't disslike the S80 as much as some, but I do agree that there are a lot of other mouthpieces to be had which should be tried prior to purchase. I've read where a number of mouthpiece experts mentioned that the square chamber of the S80 messes with tuning, among other things. From what I can guess, you were told about the S80 by an instructor. They are all the rage in the minds of music instructors for some reason, and they tend to be a decent 'default' step-up piece for concert work. However, if one's going to spend their own money for a mouthpiece, you might as well try the S80 along with some other pieces to make sure *you're* the one pleased by the purchase. I can suggest a few that might be suitable for concert alto work: Selmer Soloist Vandoren Optimum Try each in as many sizes (tip openings) as are available. I find the soloist gives better projection and a darker, more focused sound than the S80. It's also very flexible in what you can do with it from a tone-colouring standpoing. The Optimum is darker still with equivalent projection of the S80, but in it's AL3 opening, requires a more openfaced embrochure from myself, yet tone production is quite effortless. You could also try the AL4, which has a slightly more open facing. I also can suggest the Soloist for tenor work, as well as the pricier Metal Classic from Selmer.

Reply To Post

2. by Hexaclon
          (90 posts)

20 years ago

Wow thanks guys!! I have to say, I didn't knew about it's square chamber. I really can't afford mutch. I have a friend that can get me a soloist for a resonable price. I hope the price is cheaper than the ones that go for auction on ebay. Anyways, I have another question, Are the tip openings on the selmer S80 same as the soloist? Thanks Peace, Love and Music

Reply To Post AIM

3. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

20 years ago

You'll find the Soloist is a bit more expensive than the S80. However, the $20-$30 difference is more than worth the price if the Soloist is indeed what you want. If you can afford only one mouthpiece, you can't possibly afford not spending the extra small amount of cache to make sure you get the one you find most suitable to your needs, if it indeed turns out to be the Selmer Soloist that you choose. Also, the Vandoren Optimum is usually priced similarily to the Soloist. www.mouthpieceheaven.com/content/tips_Alto-Chart.htm In theory, all Selmer tip-opening designations are supposed to be identical within all mouthpieces for a particular type of saxophone. However, consistancy in practice can be far different. I have the formentioned Soloist and Metal Classic for tenor and both are marked with an 'E' Facing. From close observation without any measuring tool, it's apparent the Soloist has the larger tip of the two. It also should be stressed that there is often some inconsistancy in manufacture from one mouthpiece to another of the same type. When you try mouthpieces and find one you like, ask to purchase the one you've tried, not an "identical" one off the shelf.

Reply To Post