Saxophone Forum

by nosaxplayer
(2 posts)
20 years ago

Used Alto for a beginner

I am looking for a used alto sax for my son, who has not played anything yet other than a recorder. He is interested in the sax, and I want to get a decent brand at a good price. I've seen some Conn 20Ms and an 18M and some Yamaha YAS23s that I thought looked decent. I am looking in the $200-300 range. I've seen some new saxes on EBay, but saw here that they are junk saxes (off brands). Any reccomendations on the above brands or have any that I should look into? Thanks everyone.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by chiamac
    (586 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Used Alto for a beginner

I played on a conn 18 or 20 m once... it was crappy, stuffy, and hard. (could have been out of adjustment, but still... it wasn't fun) I like the Yahama student models... that's what most kids had back in high school (including me) they work well, easy to play, and seem to hold up well. They should also be easy to find at some music store around you since a lot of kids trade up or sell them once they are out of school.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by nosaxplayer
      (2 posts)

20 years ago

thanks for the info.

Reply To Post

1. by saxgrobie
        (86 posts)

20 years ago

yes, yamaha is a good brand. I play on a Jupiter in my high school marching band and it would be great for a beginer. Its easy to play and has a really warm sound. But watch out for ads you might find in the paper. If its not a good brand, its probably bad. I began on a no-name old peice of junk that I got for $250 and was completely taken advantage of because I didn't know what to look for at the time. I thought I was just a bad player, but it turned out the pads were rotting and there were missing screws. Be careful and good luck! Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

I met a gentleman today who has an older horn sitting around that got only 1 or 2 years of play by his son before the kid gave up. He didn't have any information on it, but I am supposed to get the info tomorrow. I will be personally reviewing the horn within the next day or two, so - basically - what I'm offering is my expertise in identifying the quality of the horn first-hand. I was going to look at it simply to give him an idea of what it might be worth as he's looking to sell it, but if you'd like, I'd be happy to play matchmaker. I'm not in the market for an alto unless this horn is a major find, but he bought it through a dealer at his son's school, so I'm assuming it's simply a decent student model horn like a Bundy II or a Yamaha YAS21/23 or something along those lines. I told him I would help him sell it, so I may even take pictures and help him sell it here or on SOTW. If the horn needs some tweaking or pad work, I can also offer my services to get it in top condition. If this horn is indeed a Bundy II or a Yamaha YAS23, then I'd say it is probably at the top of your price range if it's in great condition - usually with typical "school wear", these horns are worth anywhere from $125 to $200. If it's truly a "closet horn", then I'll advise him to sell it for no less than $300 so long as it's in playable condition with no repairs needed. Stay Tuned...

Reply To Post