Saxophone Forum

by karebear1012
(395 posts)
20 years ago

I need a new sax!

I have a really cheap saxophone (beginner alpine), and my conductor said I need to buy a really good pro horn. What websites or brands do you recommend for me? I have no idea where to get a good horn for a good price. Thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jazzsaxman
    (28 posts)

20 years ago

Re: I need a new sax!

the absolute best for the quality and the money is the jupiter artist series 89. for around $1200 you get a horn as good as a yamaha and alot other horns that are $2000 plus. this horn is one that needs to be checked out. and i don't work for the company

Reply To Post

2. by golferguy675
    (600 posts)

20 years ago

Why don't you check either prowinds.com, or ( I know I'm lighting a match in a gas station here) wwbw.com. Don't buy you horn from WWBW, but you can look at brands there. Some brands I would reccommend, are Selmer, Yamaha, Yanigasawa, and maybe Keilwerth. They're ll very reliable traditional brands with good pro saxes. Some brands I would stay away from are Woodwind Brand, LA Sax, Helmke, any off brand things you may find on Ebay, I think you can spot those pretty easily.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
      (559 posts)

20 years ago

Why not get one from us? we sell stuff lower than anyone else in the country. Antigua makes a pretty good "pro" model that is actully more of an higher grade intermediate for pretty cheap. The only thing to worry aobut would be longevity, but you would want a nicer sax than that after high school. If you don't have the money, I would recomend that. if you do, by all means, we have a reference alto that plays REALLLY good!!! I think we have that for 3500. (without watantee i think it would by 35, not sure.) We also have a series III that should go for some where around 3. And a couple of cannonballs. LEt me know if you are interested, I will get some prices.

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

20 years ago

Did you just endorse a horn manufactured in mainland asia? 0_0

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

20 years ago

Your pricerange has a lot to do with any recommendation you give. If you can afford the Reference Alto, by all means, go for it! I would if I could. My second choice would be a Bronze Yanagisawa which would be priced similarily. If you can't afford anything near that pricerange, I do think the Antiguas are decent. I like the Jupiter SG869 better myself and you may find both priced similarly.

Reply To Post

2. by hall3
          (1 post)

20 years ago

I apologize if I am breaking the forum rules but I just could not find out how to post an original query. Does anyone out there know anything about Jean-Baptiste saxophones? I am leaning towards purchasing their soprano sax model for $450. I don'i want to spend anymore than $800.

Reply To Post

3. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

20 years ago

Ok, settle down people... Karebear1012 is only 13, if the profile is right. So why are we reccomending a pro horn to a 13 year old that may not be able to take advantage of all it's features. How about looking at some good mid range horns? Like Yahama, Keilwerth, or Selmer. Get one that's around $1500-2000, which would still be a huge step up from what you have now. As for pro horns, you have plenty of time to look at those later.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

4. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

mac - That horn would be worth getting just to put a picture of Dubya on it. I suppose Kerry's picture would look good on an oboe... SaxBear - if you've got the green, there's a lot of high quality pro horns out there. Just play a few and you'll find one that works for you. If you've got a good instructor, have them go with you to help pick it out. I won't get into the brand/name game, but if you're prepared to spend a few grand, you'll find something sweet without too much trouble. With the exception of not being able to play high F#, I can get "pro sound" out of my original Selmer Bundy II. I couldn't sell it for more than about $150 - looks like hell but it plays wonderfully. Of course I favor my Selmer III, but I'm sure I could find just as much happiness in a top of the line Yamaha or Yanagisawa once I spent some time with it. You don't have to buy a pro horn to be a pro player, but good gear can definitely help. Check out a Selmer AS110 or Yamaha YAS-62II. If I was happy with my 'ol Bundy II for 20 some years, I'm sure you can make on of these babies last you as long as you want.

Reply To Post

5. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

20 years ago

Being thirteen does things slightly. An 8th grade environment is not too friendly to shiney new things, so why not consider a used student-intermediate Yamaha or Selmer? You should find them in your pricerange all ready to go and you'll have less to worry about as far as the unruley fingers of others are concerned. (-leave off topic political views for other web forum discussions on 8/7/2004 2:12:19 PM.) (-leave off topic political views for other web forum discussions on 8/7/2004 2:12:19 PM. on 8/7/2004 2:12:36 PM.)

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

20 years ago

SaxMan - What's your shop selling silver plated Series III's for? Just wondering what the market is doing on those...

Reply To Post

2. by jazzsaxman
      (28 posts)

20 years ago

the absolute best for the quality and the money is the jupiter artist series 89. for around $1200 you get a horn as good as a yamaha and alot other horns that are $2000 plus. this horn is one that needs to be checked out. and i don't work for the company

Reply To Post

3. by karebear1012
      (395 posts)

20 years ago

hey this is karebear...and to chiamac..thanks, but I really do need a pro horn. My conductor said that i'm good enough for one, and next year i'm lead sax at the high school, so I really need a good horn to play on. And yes, i'm 13

Reply To Post

1. by barimachine
        (323 posts)

20 years ago

lead sax hmmm... 13.... pro horn... well to further this down what do you play alto tenor...bari : ) anyway what kind of money are you looking to spend also what state or region or ingeneral high school are you going too the dedication factor could be big, who knows maybe your some prodigy and he we dont know, but if youve got the money go for it anyway my advice for now is to wait and talk to your director at high school this is a must.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

20 years ago

Mine was 3650 with a 2 year warantee, if I didn't take the warantee, it owuld have been 3450 - 2 years ago. Like I Have said many times, people are dumb. All they care about is saving money. We have people all the time bringing in ebay junk worth 5 - 20 dollars in its condition to save 50 bucks. last week a woman brought in a flute she bought at a pawn shop that was totald. We could well have fixed it, but there was more damage to it than what a new one costs. we have had situations like that a few times in the last week or so. we used to sell everything with a certain, no questions asked warantee, we would fix stuff that the player BROKE, not do to failure, but people would rather save a hundred bucks and spend about another 300 in the next 2-5 years on readjusting a new horn, so weve been selling everything next to cost, buisness has picked up considerably, since I started working there 2 months ago, we have sold about 30 altos...impressive. But anyways, if you are buyign out of state, you might as well refuse the warantee, cause you are going to spend more money shipping it to the shop it came form for service than getting it repaired at home. But if your in state, you would ahve to be stupid to buy something without warantee, especially a sax which will without exception go out of adjustment at least twice until it settles in.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
            (984 posts)

20 years ago

Thanks for the price. I own one - just wondering what they are going for now in case I felt like selling it. I love my III, but if I tried a Ref or a sweet-ass VI and freaked out, I'd like to know what my options might be. The nice thing about a pro horn is that they retain their value fairly well - as opposed to student models which depreciate like a new car. But again, if you find a horn worth keeping, you keep it, right? ... RIGHT?...

Reply To Post

2. by SaxMan
            (559 posts)

20 years ago

Damn right you keep it. I didn't think I was going to break the 10 sax barrier until well after high school - I just broke it. I now have 4 C-melodies, 2 of which function right now, 4 altos 3 of which work, a 2 sop cracasses I just bought to rebuild. Took me 6 months to redo my 2nd C melody - was just casually working on it, I hope my new alto, sops and other C melody take a lot less time.

Reply To Post

2. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

20 years ago

hey Barimachine! I play alto sax, and i'm in the new england area. The commitment is pretty big, and I have tons of trumpet stuff also so it's pretty hard 4 me. I don't really have a price limit, my parents just want to get the best horn for the lowest possible price. thanks!

Reply To Post

1. by barimachine
            (323 posts)

20 years ago

id just say talk to ur teachers and ask what they recomend and as you say you have private teachers so they may have opinions and get a deal thats what i did. anyway id just recomend trying the big 4 selmer yamaha yanigisawa keilwerth in every finish multi of the same, ask every question and detail. also try referances and IIIs and IIs ive heard alot of people really dont like IIIs as much as there IIs this may not be the case with alto but you know just keep and open mind

Reply To Post

2. by SaxMan
            (559 posts)

20 years ago

be careful with yamaha, if they don't change soon, they are going to go the way of conn...or leblanc or buescher etc.

Reply To Post

3. by sax_maniac
            (984 posts)

20 years ago

Don't forget Selmer, SaxMan. Their AS500's are made in Taiwan...

Reply To Post

4. by SaxMan
            (559 posts)

20 years ago

but they are american designed and quality controlled. I found out yesterday playing one that they utilize those crap adjustment screws that yamaha uses - I would get the 600 now knowing that.

Reply To Post

5. by sax_maniac
            (984 posts)

20 years ago

FRENCH ENGINEERED BY A GERMAN SAXAPHONIST!!!

Reply To Post

6. by barimachine
            (323 posts)

20 years ago

SAXOPHONIST!!! what are we talking about guys ...

Reply To Post

7. by sax_maniac
            (984 posts)

20 years ago

I love to play saxaphone. Saxaphone been beddy beddy good to me... machine - ever seen the eBay listings for the POS Chinese horns? Usually they make claims of being French or German engineered - which is actually funny to me because in my experience as an engineer, I've seen more talented Chinese engineers than I have French or Germans, but we're not really concerning ourselves with the truth now, are we? Further, the POS listings usually have saxophone spelled saxAphone to attract poor innocent kids and parents who don't know better. And those are the kinds of people who end up getting sucked in to buying those junkers...

Reply To Post

8. by barimachine
            (323 posts)

20 years ago

o thats why were saying saxAphone gotcha yea i notice that on ebay too, sometime you find friends of respectable people selling horns with there friends and they spell it saxAphone, although a rare ocassion they are usually cheaper and still in a great quality thats how my friend got his mark VI and he loves it

Reply To Post