Saxophone Forum

by tenor1124
(3 posts)
20 years ago

New Tenor Sax

I need a new tenor, in the 1000-2000 Range, (preferably 1500) This sax is the one that's probably going to last me most of my life, (at this point, I'm thinking about having a night job in the sax when I'm older.) I really want a good classical horn. However, I kinda play jazz too, and am thinking about joining a really good youth jazz ensemble in my area, so I need the sax to play some good jazz too. (9th grade) The Saxes that I'm thinking about is the Jupiter 889SG, the YTS475, the YTS62II, and maybe the Yani 901. I have also found a used Keilwerth for around 650, and I think I could maybe put a nice setup on it and get it a new case and some repairs, but I don't know.Brands that I am trying to stay away from are; Cannonball, BandNow, Winston, etc.) I really want a durable, pro quality horn!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

20 years ago

Re: New Tenor Sax

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I need a new tenor, in the 1000-2000 Range, (preferably 1500) This sax is the one that's probably going to last me most of my life, (at this point, I'm thinking about having a night job in the sax when I'm older.) I really want a good classical horn........ ...Jupiter 889SG, the YTS475, the YTS62II, and maybe the Yani 901. I have also found a used Keilwerth for around 650, and I think I could maybe put a nice setup on it and get it a new case and some repairs, but I don't know. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- well, it sounds like you've got some good leads, what did you want from us?

Reply To Post

1. by tenor1124
      (3 posts)

20 years ago

Do you know how the Jupiter 889SG compares to the YTS62II?

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
        (600 posts)

20 years ago

The 62II beats the crud out of anything you just metioned. It is the best horn you will ever find for that price.

Reply To Post

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

20 years ago

---------------------------------------------------------------- Do you know how the Jupiter 889SG compares to the YTS62II? ---------------------------------------------------------------- Never played a 62II, but i have played a 889. How saxophones of an 'identical' model play can very as widely as individual people's perspective of horns. You've listed a number of horns from respectible manufacturers above. If you can, try them all and pick the one you like!

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
      (984 posts)

20 years ago

Buy the horn I mention in the sax equipment thread. $1250 and worth every penny.

Reply To Post

1. by tenor1124
        (3 posts)

20 years ago

Awesome! ........ here's another thing to convice my parents to let me buy, better be good!

Reply To Post

3. by jazzsaxman
      (28 posts)

20 years ago

get the jupiter-be happy and save ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS over the yamaha. i'm told it is built in a state of the art factory in taiwan that yamaha actually built and then backed out for some reason

Reply To Post

1. by navyblueTENOR
        (10 posts)

20 years ago

I also was thinking about buying the Jupiter Tenor. Do you think it would sound good with an Otto Link New York Mouthpiece w/ ZZ's?

Reply To Post

1. by saxgrobie
          (86 posts)

20 years ago

Well I love my Jupiter alto but I've played a Jupiter tenor too and it was also nice. It has a good, rich, warm sound and is easy to play. I definately recommend it, though I'm not sure about the mouthpiece. Good luck! Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by navyblueTENOR
            (10 posts)

20 years ago

have you seen any intonation problems? How is the case? is the artist series comparable to the Yamaha intermediate or possible 62II?

Reply To Post

2. by jazzsaxman
            (28 posts)

20 years ago

no intonation problems at all- i played my new jupiter artist series for the first time with a local community jazz band i am in and no longer had to adjust tone to the other guys in the sax line. the horn has excellent action too. no more pinched fingers when i am soloing fast and furious. i previously had a 35 year old selmer mark VI- it was getting to be a klunker and guess what?- into the closet for that mark vi. and hello jupiter artist series

Reply To Post

2. by jazzsaxman
          (28 posts)

20 years ago

i play on my jupiter with zz reeds and a sumner mouthpiece- beautiful sound. you should have no problem.

Reply To Post

1. by navyblueTENOR
            (10 posts)

20 years ago

Thanks. I'll be heading to South Bend in a couple weeks, the Jupiter 889SG will be on the list to test, along with the YTS475, YTS62, and Yani 901. What else should I test to get a good idea of what I want?

Reply To Post

2. by golferguy675
            (600 posts)

20 years ago

Don't touch a Cannonball. The Jupiter sounds ok, but the 62II sounds better and will hold up a lot longer. Save 1000 dollars? The 62II is 1700. A 700 dollar tenor can not be very good or last more than probably two years. I would definetly reccommend that 10m on Ebay. Just do the buy it now, so you have it, and no one takes it first! If you're going to southbend. There's a sax you must try. You probably can't afford it, but it's like test driving a new ferrari. You know it's not going to happen...but what the hell. Try the Yani 9930! Silver neck and body, w/ a brass or bronze bell, with brass gold lacquered keywork. Probably the best modern sax I've ever played. Flattens the reference by a mile.

Reply To Post

3. by navyblueTENOR
            (10 posts)

20 years ago

Isn't that horn like 8000? lol, i'll really need to work hard to get the YTS62II, but it sounds awesome!, The jupiter is pretty good too, I guess for me, because I'm not pro or anything, I just have a lot of fun w/ my sax. Thanks, I'll try it out!

Reply To Post

4. by navyblueTENOR
            (10 posts)

20 years ago

vintage keywork just doesn't work out for my hands, I can barely reach the keys on the YTS23 I have, I tried this old horn, I just didnt' have the speed and my right hand kept hitting the side bflat, I think I'll stick to modern horns.

Reply To Post