Saxophone Forum

by karebear1012
(395 posts)
20 years ago

How do you get noticed by professionals?

I'm going into high school, and I was wondering how to get your name out as a sax player. I audition for stuff, and i'm lead in jazz band, but I really want people from colleges to hear me play, and remember my name and stuff. Are there any people I could email, or bands I could tryout for? Thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by chiamac
    (586 posts)

20 years ago

Re: How do you get noticed by professionals?

record yourself, and mail them out to a lot of people... anyone that you can think of. or that's what I would do anyway. Personally, I wouldn't worry about getting heard until your junior or senior year. Then you can actually do something about schlorships and colleges/.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by barimachine
      (323 posts)

20 years ago

recording yourself is good if you can use purevolume and put your stuff up here so we can further give you advice also where do you live, because around DC we have alot of honors and groups starting like small quartets of high school students at places like blues alley im in there youth jazz orchestra and we get great exposeure

Reply To Post

1. by spottspidermunki
        (55 posts)

20 years ago

man my advice is to join a group. possibly a acoustic/funk group. if ur any good at all, u'll get a fanbase, and people will start to notice u. i did that for about 6 months, and people come up to me that i've never seen B4, and say how they loved our last show, and when we'll play again. its a pretty sweet deal, although i'm not sure how effective that would be to a college, unless u make a recording of ur group and give it to them. i'm not sure if i really answered ur question, but thats a fun way to get noticed by a lot of people for doing what u love to do. i agree w/ the purevolume idea. good luck, and have fun

Reply To Post AIM

1. by spottspidermunki
          (55 posts)

20 years ago

ps. most saxophone instructors at universities give a few free lessons. the best way to get noticed is to go and take a lesson or 2. then they really get to see how u play.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

20 years ago

theres one other way if your a girl... saxgourmet.com/humor/THINGS%20YOU%20NEVER%20HEAR%20ON%20THE%20TOUR%20BUS.doc number 1 inparticular

Reply To Post

3. by saxyfire
          (9 posts)

20 years ago

I think it's a lot harder to get reconized if you are a girl. Being one I think I'd know. They just don't take you seriously at first. You got to prove you are good by your talent. I hate it but it's the truth. Anyway returning to the topic it discussion. Really the way to get noticed is all about talent and connections. Connections, friends, and connections again again. Perform when ever you get a chance; you never know who's listening. I find it's good to become friends with your band directors. You'll find they know alot more people than you think. Making recordings is good, but you got to know where to send them. I could go threw tons of things that may help, however really the bottom line is talent and connections.

Reply To Post

4. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

20 years ago

she speaks the truth finding more girl players too like i heard this group the sisters of jazz or something and a bunch of great groups are all girls and help get you notice

Reply To Post