Saxophone Forum

by britbunny
(1 post)
20 years ago

1920s (?) US QuarterMasters Corps sax. Info please

Hiya, I am a lady sax player from the UK. 8 months ago my husband brought me home a "new" vintage saxhome ....a Black laquered/painted sax with the name Wurlitzer engraved and also the letters USQMC across the front of the bell. The shop guy said it was no more than 10yrs old. I knew straight away he was wrong. It was heavier than my last sax, and keys felt to be in slightly different positions. It is stamped low pitch below the thumb rest. One website suggested about the 1920s? (Im just an amateur, self taught but I noticed straight away it had an Otto Link 6* (no idea what that means) 24carat gold plated mouthpiece, ligature and cover. It is too tough for me to play long, so I use a Bichon leather ligature and "ebonite" mouthpiece.) Anyone know anything about this sax or any idea how I can track the age/history of this sax that was once in a Military band?? It has a reg number145780 stamped by the low pitch. The nearest I got was to find a similar one listed in a Sax Museum in Canada. Id really love to hear from one of you guyd. Thanks for an excellent and informative site Lorna PS I paid £325 for the complete set up and it is in real good order having been regularly serviced at the store

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. No replies yet. Be the first!