Saxophone Forum

by batbone
(9 posts)
20 years ago

the best alto under a grand ?

the solist perfomance alto AS441; well is it???? i need a little help please!!!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by [email protected]
    (18 posts)

20 years ago

Re: the best alto under a grand ?

conn chu berry or martin!

Reply To Post

2. by SaxMan
    (559 posts)

20 years ago

sounds like a crap chinese horn to me - the best sax under a gran would be the 500 - if you are worrying strictly about playability. They have these adjustment screws that can cause signifficant problems that are nothing but a pain in the butt, but it will play better than the AS600. Both are by selmer USA

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
      (984 posts)

20 years ago

You mean Selmer Taiwan...

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
        (559 posts)

20 years ago

No, selmer USA, everything is designed by selmer, the factory just happens to be located in taiwan, but do you know what? there are a couple car factories of GM's in mexico, as well as a few yamaha factories. Is GM not an american car? Is yamaha not a japanese instrument?

Reply To Post

2. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

20 years ago

thats funny that Toyota quality here is being bad... there has been a REALLY BIG movement here to beef up quality and management pratices... guess there are still some old farts in US industry that don't want to change. know what? I haven't heard of anything "good" that came from Taiwan. Companies don't move there for high quality, they do it for cheap workers and prolly less taxes and pullution controls. If selmer moved production to Japan I would be impressed, but they didn't. [I do suppose buying a Selmer Taiwan horn would make me feel like less of a whore than if I bought a Helmke or Maxtone off eBay.] naw man, it's worse. At least Helmke or Maxtone don't hide anything, everyone knows they are crap. Selmer has a name and a history, some people may be tricked into thinking that they are still top shit and still make things to high standards. Maybe they still do, but moving some production to Taiwan dosnt look good.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by batbone
        (9 posts)

20 years ago

well now!! i was just trying to get some input on this horn. i'm buying the AS441 and i guess i'll let you know how it goes and yes maybe i'll get lucky.

Reply To Post

4. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

20 years ago

-------------------------------------------------------------- well now!! i was just trying to get some input on this horn. i'm buying the AS441 and i guess i'll let you know how it goes and yes maybe i'll get lucky. ------------------------------------------------------------------ Sorry about that 'bone. We have a curious tendency to do off on wild tangents about stuff. Personally, I think reputation and one's tendency to stand behind a product is more important than it's nationality. Kessler music has a good reputation as does the Solist horns. Of course I'd be very intersting to hear your take on the whole experience

Reply To Post

5. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

20 years ago

AHAHAHAHAHA [I also forgot to mention that quality control, adjustment and that stuff is done in the USA] someone please tell me why this is a bad idea...

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

6. by jazzsaxman
        (28 posts)

20 years ago

by far the best alto sax for under a grand is............ the jupiter artist series. end of point

Reply To Post

7. by batbone
        (9 posts)

20 years ago

First i would like Chuck Kessler for treating as if i was spending thousands dollars, (and trust me i didn't) and taking all of my calls. Today i got my new horn the solist performance alto model AS441 and for what it cost me i am well pleased. No leaks , great sound; even with the stock mouth piece!! I haven't played an alto in over 15yrs. but i have been playing on my saprano for almost a year and just as i had hoped, everything came back to me on this horn wonderful key action and feel. For everyone out there without a lot of money to spend on a saxophone this could be the one for you.

Reply To Post

8. by SaxMan
        (559 posts)

20 years ago

please give us your daignosis ina bout 6 months, we will see how it has changed.

Reply To Post