Saxophone Forum

by maplesyrup522
(5 posts)
20 years ago

Is This a Good Saxophone?

Hello, I have just moved up to my first year in highschool, making me a freshman. Band is one of my favorite subjects and I wish to make a scholarship out of it. My old saxophone isn't cutting the job for this higher level of playing compared to Jr. High School, so I'm looking to upgrade to a better saxophone. I currently play a Yas-23, which barely makes the cut. We are looking at a new saxophone for me that will fit our low budget. My dad has a coworker whose daughter owns a Yamaha Yas-52 who will sell to us for a discounted price. I was wondering if a Yas-52 model would be good for highschool, and possibly for college. I am in the marching band and jazz band, so if you could rate how that would be, that would be great. Thanks for all the help and taking the time to read this.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by freddyjay
    (1 post)

20 years ago

Re: Is This a Good Saxophone?

Why do you say the horn isn't cutting it? If the horn leaks badly, have it fixed. Go to Home Depot and buy a 18inch rope light; $4.00. Check it yourself. If the horn doesnt leak like a sive, and all the pads aren't all sticking, then spend your Dad's money on a better mouthpiece and lessons, if you aren't taking already. (Selmer C* for school band, and Claude Lakey for jazz.) Work on your tone quality and technique (speed and accuracy!) everyday. Sightread everything you can find. When you are a junior and really seriously linked into music education, then spend the money on a new horn. Till then, if you just ahve money to burn, buy a clarinet and learn to double. So what do I think about the YAS-52. Dont really know; I played a Conn through HS, then moved to a Selmer for college. That was 35 years ago. I do know that the YAS-23 is not a pos, and you only make yourself better by playing what you have better. The horn doesnt make you. Good luck.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
      (984 posts)

20 years ago

A well adjusted YAS-23 should play well enough for you.

Reply To Post

1. by mega band geek
        (60 posts)

19 years ago

I started on a YAS-23 5 years ago and it still serves me well...

Reply To Post AIM

2. by Deacon Blues
        (12 posts)

19 years ago

I'm a HS student and I have a YAS-23. Serves me well and I'm satisfied. Never lets the band down. Don't think that extra money wasted will neccesarily impove your sound. Quality maybe, but do you really need to chuck money when you already have what "cuts". As someone has already mentioned, it's really up to you to make your horn sound good. and only practice makes perfect. :) hope you make the right choice and good luck!

Reply To Post

2. by lita22
      (2 posts)

19 years ago

I hope that it's not too late to say this, but a YAS-52 is what I play on and I'm finishing up college. It's a great horn. But I would recommend that you look into getting a Larry Teal mouthpiece from Selmer. Like someone said try a C* but I'll tell you from experience it really limits your sound and what you can do with it.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

As long as your YAS 23 is not all beat to hell and back, I'd take it in to have it adjusted, and maybe the pads replaced. The YAS 23 is a GREAT horn when in good shape and properly adjusted. Play it through high school, and then maybe consider something better to take to College.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by definition
          (963 posts)

19 years ago

College level, many students still play on their trusty old YAS 23s or other beginner horns. That horn should be good enough to take you all the way through college. If you want to change the sound, try changing the reeds and mouthpiece. What are you playin on now?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I have a friend who is a VERY good sax player. His band recently signed a recording contract. Up until about 6 months ago, he was playing a Yamaha YTS-23. I found him a Selmer Mk VI tenor, which he has been playing for the past couple months. The Yamaha YAS23 and YTS 23 are both highly respected horns. Take yours in and have it looked at. Have it adjusted, pads replaced or whatever it needs. Get a better mouthpiece and maybe try a Rovner ligature.

Reply To Post Yahoo!