Saxophone Forum

by maplesyrup522
(5 posts)
20 years ago

I Am In Need Of Assistance!!

Hello, I have just moved up to my first year in highschool, making me a freshman. Band is one of my favorite subjects and I wish to make a scholarship out of it. My old saxophone isn't cutting the job for this higher level of playing compared to Jr. High School, so I'm looking to upgrade to a better saxophone. I currently play a Yas-23, which barely makes the cut. We are looking at a new saxophone for me that will fit our low budget. My dad has a coworker whose daughter owns a Yamaha Yas-52 who will sell to us for a discounted price. I was wondering if a Yas-52 model would be good for highschool, and possibly for college. I am in the marching band and jazz band, so if you could rate how that would be, that would be great. Thanks for all the help and taking the time to read this.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by maplesyrup522
    (5 posts)

20 years ago

Re: I Am In Need Of Assistance!!

By the way, I am VERY open to any other great opinions on what instruments I should look at, prices for them, great places to buy. I'm looking at a Selmer Serie III, but is a VI or IV better...? I'm very new in saxophones, but I'm not new at playing it.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by karebear1012
    (395 posts)

20 years ago

Wow, that's pretty cool...i'm in the same exact position as you! I'm going into high school next year, and I need a better quality sax for jazz band, marching band, and concert band. Band is also my favorite subjects and I want a scholarship for it too! Anyway, my teachers have been recommending Keilwerth, Selmer Mark IV, Selmer III, and the Yamaha Z. I've tried a Yamaha Z, and it played very well. Keilwerths are really good, but expensive, and many people say you can't go wrong with the selmer. Let me know what you come up with cuz I need a new sax too! Good luck, Kara

Reply To Post

3. by aksfjh
    (1 post)

20 years ago

I went for a Selmer Super Action 80 Series II when I had this prblem. With a low budget, though, I don't know if this is a choice. Selmer is always a DECENT choice, but before you buy anything, make sure you have a chance to test it out and see if you like the response, tone, and feel of the horn.

Reply To Post

1. by maplesyrup522
      (5 posts)

20 years ago

We're leaning towards the Yamaha Yas-52 because we know who's selling it to us and it's pretty cheap. I wish I could afford a Selmer, those are so nice....

Reply To Post AIM

1. by golferguy675
        (600 posts)

20 years ago

With proper upkeep and tweaking the 52 could probably take you through highschool, but if you apply for a scholarship, or even play in college, you're going to need to get a better horn. If you get a scholarship you'll have the money for it anyway. Also, keep in mind, if you get a music scholarship, you are required to major in music. So if you have any other plans, be prepared to pull of a double major.

Reply To Post