Saxophone Forum

by tyler fields
(8 posts)
16 years ago

how do you growl?

Can somebody help me . Ive tried and tried to but I just cant ddo it . Can somebody help me please?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by newreedsyndrome
    (343 posts)

16 years ago

Re: how do you growl?

Have you tried just growling? There are a MILLION forum posts about this. Sing into the horn while you play

Reply To Post

2. by JBTSAX
    (364 posts)

16 years ago

1. Hum a note loudly in the middle of your voice range. 2. While humming this note open your lips and blow an air stream. 3. Play an easy note (3rd line B) with this hum + airstream feel. That's all there is to it. You are so in the wrong section of the forum to ask this question. Growling is never used in traditional classical saxophone playing. John

Reply To Post

1. by newreedsyndrome
      (343 posts)

16 years ago

There's some singing and playing in Lauba's Jungle, but its not really growling.

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
        (547 posts)

16 years ago

re. jbtsax...maybe it should be..he heh

Reply To Post

1. by Tranesyadaddy
          (279 posts)

16 years ago

they say Bach was the first jazz musician. a few well placed growls in those transcribed cello suites can only enhance the musicality, imho.

Reply To Post

2. by Tranesyadaddy
          (279 posts)

16 years ago

I'm sure any examiner would see it my way.

Reply To Post

3. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

I hacve to agree with that ..I also find that flutter tonguing over an ornamented portamento is a great way to spend an afternoon..but, seriously, we were talking about the value of circular breathing in classical music performance..I think it works as long as that's not the main thing the listener is aware of..some of my students have asked me..I don't, myself..not primarily a classical player..but I suppose it has it's uses..

Reply To Post

4. by saxophonist_104
          (148 posts)

16 years ago

i just growl like a dog into the sax. you have to do it loud and be unafraid. like the others have said, this is NOT the right place for a growl. try the jazz forum.

Reply To Post