Saxophone Forum

by SaxNoob
(19 posts)
16 years ago

Reeds for Otto Link 8*?

Hi, i just bought a metal otto link 8* and im looking for a dark tone. Anyone able to recommend what reed and size i should use. I have a problem with my high C sounding very empty . help please

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by chalazon
    (547 posts)

16 years ago

Re: Reeds for Otto Link 8*?

Java Jazz reeds work nice on the Otto's

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
      (547 posts)

16 years ago

but, to continue, most any premium reed will work well on the Otto..this is a fine mouthpiece, and well worth your time. An 8 is considered to be a fairly open piece, so the hard reeds may prove to be a bit difficult. I know reeds are expensive, but you're probably going to want to do a bit of experimenting..you might start soft and gradually go harder (cough).until you find the size that works for you. The classic Van Doran's seem to play a bit darker than the Java's. Good luck

Reply To Post

1. by SaxNoob
        (19 posts)

16 years ago

yes i also use the regular vandoren size 3. Everything sounds fine except up to the higher register ...just to the high C. it sounds very empty and bright. everything else is great. any help please

Reply To Post AIM

1. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

you might consider having the horn checked by an experienced repair tech...could be the horn..you might consider having your emboucher checked out by an experienced player/teacher..could be your chops, especially when dealing with a new piece. Also, Dave Liebman has written an excellent book :Developing a Personnel Saxophone Sound; it will help .

Reply To Post

2. by SaxNoob
          (19 posts)

16 years ago

thank you, i was going to the music store today and possibly try ZZ or V16 , a smaller size like 2 1/2. I tried playing the high C on many different horn and it all sounds like that. It might be just a misconception on my part. There's a link on youtube which has the sound i really want. can you please check it out and tell me how i can get that sound. His high C just has an incredible sound and so much meat to it. Thank you for all your help Chalazon youtube.com/watch?v=NboCft3LZAg

Reply To Post AIM

3. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

that cat sounds great! notice how relaxed he is..lots of hours of practice...check out his bottom lip...lots of lip outside the piece..Liebman calls it the V spot..say the letter V as in Victor..check out where your top teeth touch your lower lip..that's where you put the reed....get on U Tube.music videos..check out Dexter Gordon..look where and how he puts his mouth on the piece..get into your airstream..open your throat..find a really good teacher..some one you've heard who has a sound you like..this could take a bit of work, but with time and effort, you'll get it.

Reply To Post

4. by SaxNoob
          (19 posts)

16 years ago

hi thank you chalazon. however i will take yur advice and practice and practice. I went to the music store yesterday and i tried rico jazz selects and all different ones. It turns out i like the normal rico royal reed 2 1/2 even though it's not a jazz reed? Anyways, thank you for all your help. getting a private teacher is not an option for me. My parents won't let me do music in college or allow me to major in music therefore they're not willing to pay for private lessons. If i have any more questions or if i need help, may i inquire for more help from you. THank you!!

Reply To Post AIM

5. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

if you play jazz on the reed, it's a jazz reed..whatever works for you..i've known guys who got a great jazz sound on a selmer C* mouthpiece..keep up the good work, and keep the faith..there's lots more to come..and do get on you tube and check out the sax player videos..hours of entertainment and education..aldo check out sax tutorial sites..all sorts of sax stuff just google saxophone and go for it...keep on blowin'

Reply To Post

6. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

further thoughts on the subject. Dave Liebman has written a book that I have found invaluable both in my own playing/practicing and in my teaching. It's called Developing a Personal Saxophone Tone....since lessons seem to be out of the question, looks like you're going to have to teach yourself..this is a great book. p.s. you won't be living with your parents forever..............

Reply To Post

7. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

p.p.s. look at the top of this page..find where it says links & resources..... knock yourself out..

Reply To Post