Saxophone Forum

by aschiavi
(3 posts)
16 years ago

Yanagisawa S992 - the best horn ever!

I recently purchased a Yanagisawa S992, soprano. Its the one made of bronze. Let me say this, I have played a lot of horns over the past 25 years, but I have never come across another with the incredible tone and responsivness that the Yani does. It is simply the best soprano I have ever played. I might say the best sax I've ever played, but I have played some incredible Mark VI altos. I can not sing the praises of the 992 enough. The stock mouthpiece stinks however, I got a Brancher J series gold plated and suddenly it sang. Has anyone else been taken with this incredible horn as well? Watch out Selmer!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by chalazon
    (547 posts)

16 years ago

Re: Yanagisawa S992 - the best horn ever!

I play a yani curved soprano a friend of mine purchased from the factory in '98. I don't know if this is the best horn ever, but I gotta tell ya, this is one fine instrument, and is now my main horn..I use a selmer super session F mpc, a Van Doran Optima lig, and I have a great time..different strokes,etc. but this axe is really a gas.

Reply To Post

2. by swingstreet
    (315 posts)

16 years ago

When I lived in Japan, I visited the Yanigasawa factory. I can tell you that that along with Yamaha, they have the best build quality. By that, I mean that they are put together with lots of attention to detail, and of course, mostly by hand. They are great horns. Best ever?That's always a subjective view. To me, my Conn 6M is the best ever, and it is, for me. If your Yani is the best ever for you, then it is. It comes down to what fits you.

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
      (547 posts)

16 years ago

yo, swingstreet..I really dig my Conn 6M alto, too..the ergonomics are a bit rough, but it's got a great sound..cute, too.

Reply To Post

3. by cosmic girl
    (1 post)

9 years ago

Hey,

I know this reply might come a bit late, but I couldn't agree with you more. Yesterday I was trying out Yanagisawa 992 alto for my school and I fell in love. i am not so fortunate as to own mark VI, only play Selmer Super action II, but I've tried out some of other good Selmer saxophones as well, yet Yani horn just   amazed me. It is so easy to play in low as in high register, so accurate, responsive and beautiful too. Woof! My friend, also a professional saxophone player, tried it as well (he owns mark VI tenor) and was totally taken by it. Otherwise I own Yanagisawa soprano 880 and would'n trade it for anything. 

Reply To Post