Saxophone Forum

by jschlafman
(4 posts)
16 years ago

Ligature for Selmer mp

Would anyone have any recommendations on a ligature that would best fit a Selmer S90 tenor mouthpiece? Also, is it true that the Vandoren Optimum ligature does NOT fit the Selmer mp? Thanks for your help. JS

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by stevo
    (17 posts)

16 years ago

Re: Ligature for Selmer mp

I like the Rovner light or dark ligs. I use that setup , and i also use it with Brilhart special mpc, there good ligs for any mpc. Stevo

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
      (653 posts)

16 years ago

i hate rovners. HATE THEM. cant understand why people play them, and here's why: since there is no plate in the thing, there is no pressure to keep the reed on the mouthpiece, and the reed sounds dead and buzzy. now BG, for example, have plates in there ligs, so when you turn the screw it does something useful, like putting pressure on the reed, instead of tightening the fabric around the mouthpiece anyway, try a BG.

Reply To Post

1. by jamterry
        (573 posts)

16 years ago

use the stock ligature. don't waste your money something you don't need. there have been times when i've used a bass clarinet ligature or a coat hangar for a strap, but generally speaking, stock equipment is as good as any.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by kelsey
        (930 posts)

16 years ago

Cuber, again we agree! I also hate Rovners for the same reasons that you do. I've given two away that came with two Guardala mouthpieces. The stock ligaturesw, as Jamterry says, is sometimes the best............Kelsey
        Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

3. by stevo
        (17 posts)

15 years ago

sorry your a closed minded player, hey it just a lig . just because you don't like [ HATE ] them , dosn't mean someone won't . i use different lig & mp setups. after all it was just a recomendation.

Reply To Post

2. by krzykrn88
      (27 posts)

16 years ago

I agree with kelsey and cuber too!! rovners are piece of crap. I use rovner sometimes on my selmer, only because I bought it for 5 bucks (can't argue with that, i think). I would say bg. Olegature if you have extra cash lying around. and from my experience, vandoren optimum BARELY fits selmers with thin-medium thick reeds. O ya, I once tried duct tape, rubber band, and string around the s90 out of curiosity. actually, those stuff work decent.

Reply To Post

1. by selmer 4evr
        (309 posts)

15 years ago

only one works ,,,,,GET A BONADE ,AND NEVER CHANGE IT ,,NOT A REVERSED MODEL THE REGULAR MODEL

Reply To Post