Saxophone Forum

by Altonian11
(39 posts)
16 years ago

The Better Buy?

I've got all the time in the world to decide for myself, so don't feel like it's your civic duty to answer. I've been playing saxophone for three years now, and I own a green Selman soprano, a Yamaha YAS-23, and a Yamaha YBS-52. I'm keeping the bari and the soprano for the rest of my life. But when I get older, I would like to get a better sound quality from my alto. Below is my top four choices, some alto, some tenor, what would be my best choice for the future? Money wise, and quality wise YAS-475 intermediate $1,733 YAS-62II professional $2,243 YTS-475 intermediate $2,035 YTS-575AL intermediate $1,890 a directors opinion is prefferable

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxxsymbol
    (217 posts)

16 years ago

Re: The Better Buy?

If you want a lifetime quality horn stick with a 62 series or above with the yamahas. that is one of the definitions of a pro horn is to be able to stand up to daily rigorous use for a lifetime with minimal maintenance.

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
      (653 posts)

16 years ago

pro horn, definatly. but dont get sucked into one brand, try multiple ones. the pro horn wont "improve" your sound as much as practicing will.

Reply To Post

1. by Altonian11
        (39 posts)

16 years ago

yeah, I've looked at the selman altos and tenors, but they just look like selmer knock-offs. Anyway, this is for the far future. I'm only in middle school, so I don't know much about these sort of things

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

16 years ago

Yamaha makes a great sax, and the YAS-62 II is an excellent buy. It would most definitely get you through college or whatever you intend to do. What kind of music do you like to play? If you're style is leaning more towards jazz, you may want to check out the Yamaha YAS or YTS (tenor) 82Z. But, I would also suggest you try a few others just to see what's best for you. Try a Selmer Ref. 54, Keilwerth SX-90 or SX-90R, P. Nauriat PMXA67R, or PMRT66R (tenor) and a Cannonball Big Bell Stone Series horn.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by jazzman47
        (4 posts)

16 years ago

It depends what style you really want to play. I have a YAS-62 II and I love it for classical saxophone. I have King Super 20 for jazz. I recommend getting a professional horn - Don't bother with the intermediates. You can't go wrong with yamaha or selmar but you might want to check out some other brands. Also, check out some vintage horns. The #1 rule is to play it before you buy it. Also, what mouthpiece(s) are you using? Without a good mouthpiece the horn may not perform to its finest. I hope this helps

Reply To Post

1. by Altonian11
          (39 posts)

16 years ago

I love jazz, but I really want a flexible horn that I can use for all styles. I also want a horn that can take a beating in marching and pep band, and maintain its tone quality. I heard recently that the YAS-62II are being discontinued! hopefully that's just a rumor.

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
            (653 posts)

16 years ago

yamaha has said they are coming out with a custom Z bari for the last 5 years. Still dont see one. point is dont believe everything you hear. Of course, i heard the bari thing FROM A YAMAHA SALES REP, SOOOOO.....

Reply To Post