Saxophone Forum

by Sax Mom
(964 posts)
20 years ago

Yamaha Soprano on ebay

Someone has a Yahmaha Soprano SS-475 005093A on ebay with a starting bid of $600. No one has bid on it yet, and I'm wondering if that's not a good model. Can anyone help?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by [email protected]
    (18 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Yamaha Soprano on ebay

It's actually a GREAT horn and a great value. Many professionals play the 475. When I bought a soprano (with a $2000 budget) it was among the 3 or 4 models I chose from. As with all large purchases on ebay, though, make sure you have an evaluation period with the instrument or are able to really verify it's condition. Saxophones (sopranos, especially) are prone to bent bodies, which can through off their intonation and abilty to stay in proper adjustment. Also, have an idea about how much money you will need to spend to have a repair tech put the horn into perfect playing condition. But overall, a great horn and totally worth looking into.

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

I've tried a new YSS-475 and thought that it played ok but the tone was rather uninteresting - sort of tinny. That was selling at around $1500, so I'd say that anything under $1000 would be a pretty decent deal so long as it was like new. They are a good horn, but nothing to go crazy over, as far as I'm concerned.

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
      (600 posts)

20 years ago

I agree, the Yamaha sopranos are decent. The Custom Series are fantastic, that's my soprano. I actually liked the 875 custom more than any of the yanis(Except for the 7000 dollar 9930). However, the 475 is and intermediate horn. Just curious, what recongnizable pro plays on an intermediate soprano???

Reply To Post