Saxophone Forum

by saxophonist_104
(148 posts)
16 years ago

Help me!

hey guys. this year has sucked **** so far. we don't have a show on the field, half of the people don't even give a **** about being there, we don't have music memorized, the trumpet player is raggin' on me and i keep messing up my solo. i feel like quitting. i don't hardly have the time to deal with all this crap. but i LOVE playing my saxphone and i don't wanna quit! any inspiration would be greatly appreciated.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jazzman47
    (4 posts)

16 years ago

Re: Help me!

Just put on some jazz and you worries will disappear. I don't know what you like to listen to, but these are some of my favorites: Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, Cannonball Adderley, Joe Henderson, Kenny Garrett, Dick Oatts, Miles Davis, Bill Evans, The Vangaurd Jazz Orchestra The album KIND OF BLUE always brightens up my day.

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
      (653 posts)

16 years ago

as one of the people who dont give a damn about marching (i assume thats what you are talking about), i can honestly say your main problem is caring about marching. sax players shouldnt be preoccupied with the pointlessness of marching. instead, we should blow marching off and wait until the director decides to start the jazz band. next time the trumpeter talks, calmy walk up to them and deck them in the face, then calmy return to your spot.

Reply To Post

2. by krzykrn88
    (27 posts)

15 years ago

I had exact same stuff goin on in my field when i was in hs. for me, I immediately quit marching band, and my school's concert band. I just worked on jazz for a little bit, and joined jazz band and I do occasional gig. for me, this decision actually helped me love and enjoy playing sax even more. Also, playing jazz improved my techniques a lot, and helped me find my original tone that I love to death.

Reply To Post

1. by saxophonist_104
      (148 posts)

15 years ago

Little problem, cuber. Our school is too small for a jazz band, so it's either marching band or nothing. I prefer marching. But I like your solution for the trumpeter! lol! I'm kinda okay with him now; he was jus really getting on my nerves (as he get on EVERYONE'S nerves) that day. As for giving up my love of marching band, I've decided "NEVER!!" Holla! That's what's up, marching band lovers!

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
        (653 posts)

15 years ago

your schools too small for a jazz band? holy crap. my school had 80 people in the band program, and we still have one. not very good (not our fault though, band director doesnt know shit) but we still have one.

Reply To Post

1. by saxophonist_104
          (148 posts)

15 years ago

Yeah, cuber, all we have is about 15-18 members (depending on who's failing or in trouble). During marching season, we're the marching band, and during concert season, we're the concert band. That's IT. No orchestra, no jazz, no classical, not even mariachi (not that a sax could be used in mariachi anyways).

Reply To Post

2. by cuber
          (653 posts)

15 years ago

thats not alot of people we dont have an orchestra, the director takes all the solos our jazz band (dont get me started), our concert band is concidered classical, and im not sure id be in band much longer if we started playing mariachi. i dont go to a huge suberb school or anything, but we at least have people which reminds me, about 7 years ago, we only had 15 people.

Reply To Post