Saxophone Forum

by woodwind.superiority
(2 posts)
15 years ago

Mouthpiece for a Yanagisawa 901 Baritone Sax

I've been playing the bari sax for four years now using the same mouthpiece (Yanagisawa 5 hard rubber). Now that I've worked my way up to size 4 Vandoren ZZ reeds because of my tighter, dominant clarinet embouchure, I've found that my reeds are wearing out more and more quickly. It's hard for me to sustain notes, and my tone sounds awful to the point where I'm embarrassed to show up to my high school jazz band's rehearsals. I don't have an explanation as to why this is happening, but I'm wondering if it's the mouthpiece. I've tried out mouthpieces at the local music stores, but none of them have anything for baris (expected, of course...). I need some help finding a metal mouthpiece that's compatible with my reed size and horn model and will help me produce a rich, dark sound.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by newreedsyndrome
    (343 posts)

15 years ago

Re: Mouthpiece for a Yanagisawa 901 Baritone Sax

First off, you're not playing a clarinet, so don't use a clarinet embouchure. The reason you have trouble sustaining notes is because the reed is too hard. While size 4 V12s is the standard for clarinet players, most sax players use 2 1/2 to 3 1/2s, depending on the mouthpiece. I would reccomend using softer reeds (ZZs are fine, a 3 would be a good match for a 5 tip opening), and getting some bari sax lessons, especially regarding your embouchure. Also, coming from clarinet, you're probably voicing too high (are you using a 'high E' voicing or something in the ballpark? This is great for Bb/A clarinet, but not for bari sax).

Reply To Post

1. by woodwind.superiority
      (2 posts)

15 years ago

No no, I don't use a clarinet embouchure when I play my sax; I'm just used to playing on harder reeds. When I play on a new reed, my tone sounds good, but after maybe half an hour I find it harder to sustain notes because it feels like the reed thins out a great deal. I have some 3 1/2s, but they're way too thin for my mouthpiece. Do you think I should get a new mouthpiece instead?

Reply To Post

2. by rustyreed
    (1 post)

15 years ago

I HAVE PLAYED ALL FOUR SAXES FOR MANY YEARS. gET A bRILLHART "lEVEL AIRE" METAL MP. hAVE PLAYED IT FOR YEARS. sTART ON A NO. 5. tRY IT. tHEN GO TO A 5* AND IF IT ISN'T OPEN ENOUGH THEN GO TO A 6. i LIKE THE 6. gOOD LUCK. RUSTYREED.

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
      (547 posts)

15 years ago

really, pal , the reeds are too hard..loosen up..get some lessons..take more mouth o=piece..try long tones for, oh say six or eight months..try pushing air thro the horn..it,s not a clarinet...phil barone makes a GREAT bari mouthpiece. good luck.

Reply To Post