Saxophone Forum

by krzykrn88
(27 posts)
16 years ago

oleg metal mouthpiece.

I have been recently gifted an oleg metal soprano mouthpiece. The mouthpiece is great, but it is too fat to fit through the most ligatures. besides the olegature(because oleg makes both -_-), I haven't found any ligature that fits my mouthpiece. I personally think olegature for 90 dollars is a ripoff, having bought several for my alto and clarinet for less. They are spectacular ligatures, but I just want to look for cheaper alternatives if given a chance. Can anyone give me the suggestion? thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Brentcpt
    (4 posts)

16 years ago

Re: oleg metal mouthpiece.

This may sound too simple, but have you tried an alto, or even a tenor lig..... I have a similar problem with my brancher tenor piece. I often have to buy soprano ligatures because of the slim design.

Reply To Post

1. by krzykrn88
      (27 posts)

16 years ago

didnt even think of that. a day after this post, i got francois ultimate n fell in love w. it

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
        (653 posts)

16 years ago

thats all that really matters, isnt it?

Reply To Post

1. by krzykrn88
          (27 posts)

16 years ago

ahhaha. i guess...I thought it will take a long time before i find the ideal ligature that fits and plays well. i just got lucky when some1 just lemme borrow his ultimate, and then just sold it to me for 30 bucks or so.

Reply To Post

2. by cuber
          (653 posts)

16 years ago

the best things come from luck, dont they? for the lig i use on my metal otto link, they sent the wrong model. got a sop. sax lig instead of a clarinet lig. fits/works better than the clarinet lig.

Reply To Post

3. by krzykrn88
          (27 posts)

16 years ago

seriously. I remember when i got my morgan excalibur for alto. it did not take me while to notice that stuff was small enough to fit clarinet ligs, but damn! i couldnt find the right ligature that serves the mouthpiece justice. rovner, though recommended by morgan, just function, and kill morgan characteristics, optimum made it sound like a tin can, and a bonade had a good sound, but didnt have the vibe that made me say eureka!. i found olegature for 35 bucks, and I am a happy man. O ya, it then took me a long time until i found a random cap that fits. Speaking of luck, I found that clarinet reeds have the same width as soprano sax, so these reeds can be interchanged and vice versa. havent tried any clarinet reeds on a soprano mouthpiece, but as long as you cope with shortness of the reed, vandoren zz soprano sax 3.5 actually gave me a better reed set up for my clarinet. o ya, the francois smart cap also fit my clarinet mouthpiece, while it really didnt fit my soprano piece. considering clarinet ligs olegature, i needed a cap that fit.=P sorry if these are too long. I just felt like spitting these out. being overswamped with all my college engineering drama, sax playing and sax talking provides a good stress relief.

Reply To Post