Saxophone Forum

by sax_maniac
(984 posts)
20 years ago

How can I remove silver plate?

Do I have to buff it off or is there an electro-chemical means?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by chiamac
    (586 posts)

20 years ago

Re: How can I remove silver plate?

Buff, sand, get a dremel with some 3m sanding disks... how much do you want to take off?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by sax_maniac
      (984 posts)

20 years ago

The layer on a plated mouthpiece, for example. I have the tools to go the strictly mechanical/abrasive route - just wondering if there was any other methods. There's probably some acid that would do it, but probably the kind of thing that gets you reported to the goverment if you start asking around. Not to mention what it would probably do to the biteplate. So a follow up question... Now I've got a bare brass mouthpiece in my hands and want to add to the baffle with some form of metal. Is there a particular solder I could beef it up with to later work down? What kind of solder bonds well with brass? I could just open the tip, drop the table, then work with what's left (but that would be too easy). Generally this only works with mouthpieces that already have some baffle to it - even a slight baffle is generally good enough to do this. Dunno. Maybe I'm just looking to make my life more complicated than it needs to be. I've been getting some kicks lately with epoxy baffle mods. Just brainstorming I guess. I turned a Jupiter plastic 4C (alto) into a real screamer a few days ago. It was rather small chambered to begin with, which helps. Only one-eighth the cost of a Dukoff and just as mean sounding. I've got a few more cheapie mouthpieces I'm going to experiment with. Anyone interested in trying them out for curiosity's sake?

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

20 years ago

you can try to melt a bunch of silver solder to make a baffle... but then say goodbye to your bite plate.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

I like that idea, thanks. But youre right - the heat would surely funk up the biteplate. Heck - as long as I'm doing a custom baffle, why not do a custom biteplate?

Reply To Post

2. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

20 years ago

or you could use some epoxy or glue or something that would stick to the metal... (bondo?) but hey if you're going to do it right, you may as well do it right.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

I've been able to get outstanding results from epoxy - it's just so ugly and gets everywhere. Gotta tape up the outside of the mouthpiece and wear gloves. I figured that adding metal to metal would hold up better over time considering expansion/contraction differences if it gets really cold or something. Don't want to have the baffle come loose and start rattling around during a solo. "Cool effect, man! How's he doing that?"

Reply To Post

4. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

20 years ago

Reply To Post

5. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

20 years ago

Christ no, dont buff or sand. a m/p would be ok I guess, cause it aint worth anything, but a sax, would totally ruin the value, and maybe the sax depending on how ahrd you buff. Send it to andersons, they chemically strip platings off before replating. (If necessary.) I am sure you could get the, to only strip it. Dont ahve to worry aob ut andersons either - there isnt anyone better.

Reply To Post