Saxophone Forum

by LARYMESQ
(2 posts)
15 years ago

Hard Blowing Semer Series111

I have a couple old Martins, Mark iv altos- set up saul Fromkin- they are very easy blowing thru out. I mostly use a Steve Broadus hard rubber mouthpiece. I got a Selmer Series III alto. Right off i noticed how hard i have to blow- seems very resistant to air flow, i tried alot of differant mouthpieces, nothing works. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by selmer 4evr
    (309 posts)

15 years ago

Re: Hard Blowing Semer Series111

give it 6 months of hard ,,,practicing and that should do it ,,,this always happens ,,,,,

Reply To Post

2. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

15 years ago

Have someone else play the Selmer to see if it could be the horn? Sometimes those overpriced pieces of junk come with leaks direct from the factory. Mark Vls forever................Kelsey
    Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by chalazon
      (547 posts)

15 years ago

could be a flaw in the bore\..I've recently come across a reference 36 that was nor right..something in the bore .very uneven trough the registers..I think selmer is tanking...

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
        (547 posts)

15 years ago

let me rephrase that..the pro selmers I've come across in the last few years I've found to be less than impressive...especially considering the price being asked..the ones I've played on seem to lack the solidity and integrity of the older horns..maybe there are some great ones out there, but I'm not finding them..

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

15 years ago

Hey Chalazon, we certainly agree about the new Selmers. I've exclusively played Mark Vls my entire career as a sax player and I love them. If I were forced to buy a new horn today it probably would be a Yamaha. I see you are from Boise. Lots of gigs there? I live in Florida and am sure feeling the Bush ecomomy............Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

15 years ago

Yo, Kelsey..after much thought..well, maybe not that much..how much does it take..I gotta agree 'bout the MKVI..they probably are the best horns made. If you look at a list of the great jazz and R&B players..most of them are blowing VI's..gotta be a reason, hmmmm?..I had a fellow tech tell me that Selmer is thier own main competeter..with the VI's, you know..told me Selmer wishes they'd just go away..I think it's the whole corporate toxification of the craft of instrument making. Boise is a truley beautiful place to live...no gigs, tho..every one has a day job..teaching, whatever..I do horn repair for a local store..it's all good..

Reply To Post

2. by LARYMESQ
        (2 posts)

15 years ago

Thank you, to all that replied. Met with my Tech and found a combination of too thin neck cork and a replaced pad that had not seated properly, we kept tweaking some adjustment screws. The horn is much better, but still no comparison to my Vintage Horns. Thak you all again- Merry Christmas

Reply To Post