Saxophone Forum

by swingstreet
(315 posts)
15 years ago

Mouthpiece-itis

I work in a brass and woodwind shop, and often I get people coming into the store to try out mouthpieces. We have a pretty wide selection of them. However, and this is especially true with younger players, there is way too much emphasis on finding the perfect mouthpiece. Why? because it does not exist. The same people keep coming into the shop, trying out one mouthpiece after another, and still complain that none of them are any good. Here's what I think. Of course the right mouthpiece is important. however, if after having tried every mouthpiece out there, and you still aren't happy, then I suggest that 1) You really have no solid conception of the sound you want, or you want to sound exactly like your saxophone idol, which BTW will never happen, and you shouldn't want it to happen, and 2) rather than try every mouthpiece out there, spend more time practicing your horn, and also keep your horn well-maintained. There are no magic bullets. You buy the best horn and accessories you can afford, then just practice and play, and cut out all the other crap.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by chalazon
    (547 posts)

15 years ago

Re: Mouthpiece-itis

y'know, I just gotta agree...to a degree..yup, a fine mpc. will make a difference in your sound..but only if you can get a pretty good sound on ANY mpc...which is essentially what my friend Mr. Street is saying here. You can play on a Dave Sanborn piece, put chances are ya not gonna sound line Dave Sanborn..besides that, the idea is to sound like yourself, as much and as fine as possible..so, it's air stream, open throat, a finely formed embouchure, and lots of practice. That said, sometimes I get the urge myself..always go back to my favorite pieces tho..good luck in your search.

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
      (930 posts)

15 years ago

To find the best mouthpiece for yourself, it's not a bad idea to try as many as you can, just don't buy them all. Then practice like crazy if you want to be a sax player.......Kelsey
      Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by blackfrancis
        (396 posts)

15 years ago

Amen!

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

15 years ago