Saxophone Forum

by dslynch
(4 posts)
15 years ago

"leak" that won't go away

I've got a nice 1962 Mark VI tenor that seems as if it has some kind of solution-less leak.Low notes from F downward seem leaky and subtones from C and down are not possible.I've tried pads,adjustments,reed changes,etc. and whereas a softer reed makes the problem more manageable,the problem doesn't go away.I've never come across this on other horns.I'm baffled and am somewhat out of ideas.What else could possibly cause this irritation of the horn's completeness of sound?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxxsymbol
    (217 posts)

15 years ago

Re: "leak" that won't go away

I would check the seals between the body to bow joint first, then the seal between the bow to bell joint. Get a good tech to chekc this.

Reply To Post

2. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

15 years ago

check the bottom c# pad, it could be the most microscopic leak and cause all those problems, i had similar problems and could not see the leak with my lite but my tech did and it made a world of difference

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
      (653 posts)

15 years ago

have the g# pad checked. mine was really screwed up once, and anything below D was difficult

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
        (547 posts)

15 years ago

All of the above, and: have the neck piece/reciever connection checked. Have the octave key pip seal checked. Have the side keys checked with a feeler gauge. The seating on these keys is very difficult to see with a leak light. Have the spring tension on the side keys checked. If the springs are too weak, you can blow these keys open, creating a leak. Have the F # key pad checked. It's easy to knock this key out of alignment. It sounds as if the leak is located somewhere in the middle of the horn..articulated G# is a bet..F#/G# adjustment, etc...and yes, bow to body joint. Leaks in the palm keys can cause this kind of problem. Make sure your tech. is using a feeler gauge along with the leak light. If he won't, find one who will. You cannot find every leak with a light. If possible, find a tech. who plays the horn well, he'll be able to tell . Good luck. Hey, Cuber..how ya doin?

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
          (653 posts)

15 years ago

fine, you?

Reply To Post

2. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

15 years ago

never better..got a gig tonight.