Saxophone Forum

by YanagisawA-901
(312 posts)
20 years ago

Alto help for me again, haha

listen guys, i posted a thread up earlier and got a hell of a lot of responses, i thank you all a lot. ive been told that i may need a different setup for my yanagisawa alto, mainly hearing about the mouthpiece and the lig. i need some feedback on whats a good jazz piece, and a good concert band piece, i dont really want a classy piece since in concert band we sometimes play marching pieces, but then again we play a lot of stuff by percy grainger. so help me out, good jazz mouthpice and lig good concertband piece.. or maybe a good all around which can be both depending on the lig u use?? MIKE

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Alto help for me again, haha

Ok. My vote for best all-around mouthpiece (on alto, mind you) is a Selmer Paris metal jazz C*. It's closed enough that you can control it in a concert setting, yet projects and cuts like crazy if you push it. With a bell mute, you can (from Grainger to Sousa) decide how much projection you want. Just use the lig it comes with.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
      (984 posts)

20 years ago

I wanted to elaborate that the jazz C* articulates and responds incredibly cleanly and gives me superb intonation compared to what I can get from an S80. That could just be the way I play, though. Certain pieces suit me better than others. Those looking for a darker sound can go the route of Selmer's classical metal, but you really can't pull off jazz on those - at least not with a C* facing.

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
        (600 posts)

20 years ago

Wait, you play alto, right? DON'T PLAY A METAL MOUTHPIECE ON AN ALTO SAXOPHONE! You band teacher will smack you. I said a few up on your original post, and the mouthpieces posts, look up there.

Reply To Post

2. by YanagisawA-901
      (312 posts)

20 years ago

i donno if my band teacher would smack me... our school has made multiple jazz cd's featuring a lot of big names around maryland.. they were seniors at our school at the time, but they were all playing selmer mark IV's and meyer and ottolink metal mouthpieces, it gave them a hella bright sound tho, im looking for a bit of a darker sound, but not too dark, i still like bright, i just want to be a lil darker so i can blend with the rest of the band, but still be noticed

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ