Saxophone Forum

by scooby
(83 posts)
15 years ago

Transcription of Joel Frahm's solo on "Giant Steps"

I have posted a transcribed solo on “Giant Steps” by tenor saxophonist, Joel Frahm on my website www.scooby-sax.com. Joel is one of my favorite tenor players on the scene today and just nails this solo. It is unaccompanied and he nails every change and keeps great time. He is all over the horn as well, from the bottom to way up in the altissimo. Check out Joel’s site at www.joelfrahm.com The solo comes from a recording that accompanies a book written by pianist, David Berkman, called “The Jazz Musician’s Guide to Creative Practicing.” It is a great book filled with lots of practical information on practicing to improve improvisation. More info about the book is available at: The Jazz Musician’s Guide to Creative Practicing. More info about David is available at his site: www.davidberkman.com Disclaimer: I don’t have any connection to either David or Joel (other than contacting them to see if they objected to my posting the transcription) and don’t have any financial interest in David’s book. I just thought it is one of the best jazz books I’ve seen and was knocked out by Joel’s solo.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by chalazon
    (547 posts)

15 years ago

Re: Transcription of Joel Frahm's solo on "Giant Steps"

great stuff, Scooby..I'll be looking into it..thank you.stuff like this is what the forum is really all about..chal.

Reply To Post

1. by Mobile Band
      (27 posts)

14 years ago

excellent, thanks a lot. Work for a whole summer . . . Mobile Band

Reply To Post

2. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

14 years ago

I love David Berkman. What a great piano player!! Thanks for posting............kelsey
    Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM