Saxophone Forum

by YanagisawA-901
(312 posts)
20 years ago

~[] Need Some Real Help Here Guys []~

this might not be real help, but i think it is... ive been postin a whole lot about new mouthpieces and stuff, and my private lesson teacher al maniscalco said that the mouthpiece that came with my A - 901 is comperable to a meyer, which i feel is a good thing.. but ive been playing it , and it sounds good, but im not sure if it sounds...good, taht might make no sence, but ive only been seriously playing sax for about 2 years, and even tho i can tell wether someones sharp or flat by ear, and i can distingish good from bad, i dont know if this stock piece that came with my sax is a good thing.. it sounds good, it feels good, except the high A is a bit stuffy soundin, sounds a lil brighter than im comfortable with but its a round sound.. is this correct?? does anyone know if this is a good piece and if i should switch to it for jazz and concert band?? or just jazz?? or just concert?? help me out

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by peter090
    (155 posts)

20 years ago

Re: ~[] Need Some Real Help Here Guys []~

Listen to your teacher. Yani mouthpieces are just fine to learn on. Work on getting the sound you want and when you know what you want start looking at mouthpieces that make it easier. You should be able to get pretty close on a stock piece. Gear doesn't play itself. If you can't get a really good sound on a stock mouthpiece you won't get a much better sound out of anything else.

Reply To Post

1. by YanagisawA-901
      (312 posts)

20 years ago

well i already have a selmer s80 C*, but i heard that the yani is of equal quality if not better...yay? nay?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by golferguy675
        (600 posts)

20 years ago

If you've been playing seriously for 2 years now, and don't plan on quitting, buy a jazz pieece. The C*'s good for now on classical, but the stock piece isn't good for jazz. I actually would recommend the Otto Link Tone Edge over the Meyer on an alto. On tenor however, I think meyers are better sounding(hard rubber at least). They're only 75 bucks I think, and are easy to find. Try a 6*, and a half or full size softer reed.

Reply To Post

1. by Hexaclon
          (90 posts)

20 years ago

What do you guys think about the lakey mouthpieces for tenor? Thanks

Reply To Post AIM