Saxophone Forum

by ledsalade
(5 posts)
15 years ago

Do any of you use a Yani for Jazz Sax?

HI everyone, I am a high school sax player looking to buy a bari. I was lucky enough to attend a high school that had a 5 digit VI that they let me use as if it was my own. However, I will be attending college after this summer and I need to buy one. I have tried many saxes in the Tri State area, and although I would like to buy another VI, I don't think I can afford one. I did find a Yanigisawa B9930 within my price range, but I have never tried that particular model. I hear great things about it. Could any of you guys tell me how it sounds in comparison to a VI? Is it darker or brighter? Easier to play on? I currently use a Berg Larsen 110/3 vintage hard rubber mouthpiece. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by swingstreet
    (315 posts)

15 years ago

Re: Do any of you use a Yani for Jazz Sax?

Out of curiosity, you didn't come into my shop in NYC and try it out did you? There was a kid and his mom that came in a few days ago and he was looking for that exact model, and tried it. He picked it up today, and since you mentioned tri-state area, it fits your description of yourself. So if it is you, you already have the bari and the question is answered.

Reply To Post

2. by cuber
    (653 posts)

15 years ago

nice mouthpiece among modern baris, yamahas are really nice. the VI baris arent considered as good as some other horns. I played a VI bari, and thought my yamaha 52 at least matched it, if not outplayed it. im not too sure where yanis fall into the picture bari-wise. obviously, we cant tell you what to buy, and all we can really do is give you suggestions on what to try, and if you think you might like it, theres nothing wrong with trying it.

Reply To Post

1. by ledsalade
      (5 posts)

15 years ago

Thanks for the reply. Suggestions and experiences are all I'm looking for. I've used Yamahas before and they're not for me. I guess the experience is different for every player. Either way, I would love to hear as many opinions as possible.

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
        (547 posts)

15 years ago

Yamaha makes one of the finest bari's on the market. I have a friend who plays a Yani gasawa bronze bari..he gets a truly great jazz sound very beefy and Ronnie Cuber like..how you get the horn to sound is gonna depend on you, your mouthpiece, your reed, your chops, and how you blow the thing..if you've got it together, you can make it sound any way you want to. Yanigasawa makes some of the finest quality horns on the market today, and a Yani bari would be a very sound investment.

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
          (653 posts)

15 years ago

ha, "a Yani bari would be a very SOUND investment." sorry, im kinda tired. anyway, what kind of sound are you looking for?

Reply To Post

2. by ledsalade
          (5 posts)

15 years ago

well here is a crappy video of me from last year to give you guys an idea www.youtube.com/user/muvseevum

Reply To Post

3. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

15 years ago

Try a vintage Conn bari. They are cheaper and I prefer them to the Mark Vl. I don't play bari and I do use Mark Vls for alto and tenor. When I did play the bari it was an old Conn at North Texas State. I played the tenor bari chair. Later as a band director they had several old Conns at my school that I really loved. If not a Conn I'd go Yamaha..........Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

4. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

15 years ago

PS............Your video was good. Of course, good is a lll............kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

5. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

15 years ago

vintage Conn bari is an excellent choice..wonderful sound..Mulligan seemed to dig them/

Reply To Post