Saxophone Forum

by johnsonfromwisconsin
(767 posts)
20 years ago

What saxophone related item to you covet enough to possibly actually purchase in the future?

Title says it all, I suppose. For me, I'd like the following, in no order of importance: Baritone saxophone. I have been Eyeing the infrequent Dolnet that comes up here and there. They are reputed to be classically oriented, generally well built, but with some intonation issues akin to the Mark VI. I like the appearance of those horns, and they are quite inexpensive as far as more modern vintage baritones go. Tenor Saxophone. I've been liking what I've been hearing about the Buffet SDA and the Dolnet M70: dark, classical oriented horns that look as beautifull as they play. Dolnets are a bit cheaper, but SDA's are noted for posessing fine intonation. A decent closed-hole / split-G / low C flute. Pref silver plated. Muramatsu offers a pure sterling model such as this and can be found for around a grand, but it is probably a bit much for what I'll ever use a flute for, so I'll probably settle for something I can get off of Ebay for around $200. A nice bass clarinet, ebonite prefered (for my fiancee) but something with perhaps two octave vents and a little nicer than a bundy or vito. A better Soprano clarinet than my .577 Bundy Ebay special. Good music notation software like Finale and some decent recording equipment.

[Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

20 years ago

Re: What saxophone related item to you covet enough to possibly actually purchase in the future?

okay, I broke my own 'saxophone only' clause in the first post. Feel free to do the same yourself! Also, keep in mind, I cannot afford ANY of this now :)

1. by chiamac
      (586 posts)

20 years ago

Re: What saxophone related item to you covet enough to possibly actually purchase in the future?

well since you expanded this to other things... some studio speakers, prolly some M-audio studiophile (sp?) monators which will be anywhere from $200-$400 depending on what I get. I have some nice small speakers now, but my freind wants them back=( I'm going to be replacing the rear speakers in the jeep sometime in the next week... won't be too expensive but NEEDS to be done. Lets just say the OM speakers in there now are shittier than I thought. (I just put front ones in today, had the speakers sitting around for a few years... it wasn't high on my list) The AC fan in my jeep went out... that will be $130, stupid thing. Back on topic... I alwase wanted a sop sax, I think they are neat/cool/ and something I would want sitting around. I doubt it would get much use, but it would still be nice to have one sitting around.

1. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

20 years ago

ok, I guess the rear speakers and AC will get replaced and don't really count. But I still don't want to do it and wasn't planning on doing it...

1. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

20 years ago

Well, A early low A mark VI A silver conn-o-sax A sopranino - a true-tone or series II - not sure, probably the buescher hell, both A solid silver series III sop, "dore" model - the equivalent of the virtuoso deluxe A custom built series III alto, solid silver w/ low A, harmonic G, maybe a microtuner neck and turquoise finger touches A mark VI bass from the early 60's (earlier ones are absolutely unnattainable.) A super Balanced action Bass A true-tone Bass A Series II bass A low A martin Magna bari a true-tone bari a series III bari when it comes out A curved conn sop A straight true-tone sop A true-tone tenor A early VI tenor A virtuos deluxe c mel A cigar cutter C mel A modele 22 C mel A low A modele 26 C mel A virtuoso deluxe alto A balanced action alto A super balanced action alto A mezzo sop An orsi contrabass - the original A subcontrabass A solid silver selmer simple system clarinet A 100 grand martin dang the sax is expensive...that doesnt even inculde the m/p's and reeds!!!

2. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

I could use a good tenor sax mute. I use bubble wrap in my alto. I suppose I could fashion up a bigger piece... Other than that, I can't outplay my SACTB's , so maybe a bass sax at some point, but I've already got a lonely bari, so I'm in no hurry. A well tuned Mark VI alto with a high F# would be cool. An SBA to complement my tenor would be even better, but I don't know if High F# was an option at that time. In general, so long as my passion doesn't outweigh my pocketbook, that'll do.

3. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

20 years ago

I have seen one BA w/ a high F#, it also had a Eb, the only selmer I have ever seen with one, EXTREMELY custom!!! But anyways, I just bought a c sop so I can cross that off the list.