Saxophone Forum

by The Mama
(2 posts)
15 years ago

My son needs a better horn . . . help!

My teen's first love is a Selmer. He has played a few over his four years, but he loves his Selmer. My understanding is that we will need to go 'pro' for university, and spend some real money. He is thinking that for university he should have a tenor AND an alto . . . arrrgh! I would really appreciate hearing suggestions about what I should look for . . . I have at least a year to look, but that will fly by! He prefers to play jazz, and recently bought a metal mouthpiece (Otto Link 5 maybe?) - if that gives any insight! Thanks in advance, for any help offered!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

15 years ago

Re: My son needs a better horn . . . help!

I have two Selmer Mark Vl horns, an alto and a tenor. They are both vintage horns and I like them better than any horn I've ever played. They would now be very expensive to buy, check the Mark Vls in this site. I personally don't like the newer Selmers. My opinion is that Selmer hasn't built a horn of quality since they quit making the Mark Vl. They still are living on the reputation they gained with the Mark Vl. Their top line horns are not bad horns but are too expensive for what you get. Their cheaper lines are just student line horns and I wouldn't take them too serious. If I were to buy a new saxophone today I would probably buy a Model 62ll or an 82z Yamaha. They are great horns and won't cost an arm or a leg................Kelsey
    Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by kneejerk52
      (397 posts)

15 years ago

listen to kesley, and don't make it so complicated you will get lot's of opionions this is as good as any others you will get

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
        (653 posts)

15 years ago

yep, kelsey pretty much said whats what. again. actually, a little bit ago prices on MkVIs came down abit on pmwoodwind (a guy in chicago who at any time has 40ish mkVIs) but i just checked, and theyre back up. (@ original poster, cant remember name, sorry) Just to let you know, mkVIs dont just break the bank. they close the bank.

Reply To Post

2. by irvkms
      (16 posts)

15 years ago

Will he be a music major? If so, a pro horn he really loves makes sense. But, be prepared for all the 18 year old experts to have a lot of different opinions. If he is not a music major, maybe be in the marching band, jam etc., I would hold off on spending 5-10 k until he is at least an upper classman.IMHO, as the father of a music major.

Reply To Post

3. by irvkms
      (16 posts)

15 years ago

Will he be a music major? If so, a pro horn he really loves makes sense. But, be prepared for all the 18 year old experts to have a lot of different opinions. If he is not a music major, maybe be in the marching band, jam etc., I would hold off on spending 5-10 k until he is at least an upper classman.IMHO, as the father of a music major.

Reply To Post

4. by judik
      (2 posts)

15 years ago

of course selmer is expensive but sound great. i think it's better to buy an old (but not too old) pro sax than a new one if the old is cheaper.you can try to see to alto selmer super action II older than serie III but less expensive. or you can see to an old Buffet-Crampon like Super Dynaction . The Buffet-Crampon saxes are older in history than selmer and are great saxophones nobody knows . if it's too expensive looks at japaneese, korean, or taiwan saxophones.

Reply To Post