Saxophone Forum

by phlip773
(10 posts)
15 years ago

Yamaha G1 necks do not fit the old 62 model tenors

Just in case anyone else has encountered this issue. I recently purchased a silver G1 neck for my 62 tenor. The octave mechanism is not the same, therefore causeing a problem. The original 62 octave key is not as long as the 62II. Yamaha acted like I should have known this, and gave me no real solution to the issue. I liked the way the neck sounded and loved the extra color and overall projection it provides. After trying several things to make up for the octave key length, my repair tech at Flint Hills Music compared the new and original necks to find they are the exact same size. He unsoldered the mounting off the original neck and soldered it onto the G1 silver neck. It worked like a charm. Now it has a two tone look and the great sound that the G1 gave my tenor. This is the best solution I have found. You'd never know anything was done. Let me know if anyone wants picks and I will e-mail them to you. It only cost me fifty bucks for the work plus shipping. This guy knows his stuff!!!! P.J. Stephenson

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by savio
    (8 posts)

10 years ago

Re: Yamaha G1 necks do not fit the old 62 model tenors

No. The G1 neck only accompanied the newest 62 one (2000 'til 2011/2012). The  older 62 (like the mine, 1984) came with another neck, older model, darker sound.
    The way I did is the best way, believe.

Reply To Post

2. by savio
    (8 posts)

10 years ago

Hi all,

I've adapted my old YTS-62 Purple Logo to receive my new G1 neck. I replaced the octave mechanism with Yamaha genuine parts and it was great! And the old neck works fine too. I myself did the work.

Attached is the list of parts I bought from Gakkido Co. Ltd. ([email protected] or [email protected]). And just for U$ 200.00 including the G1 neck and shipping costs.

Savio

Reply To Post

3. by savio
    (8 posts)

10 years ago

Now, I'm preparing to migrate the spatula keys to the redesigned keys too. See the attached list. About U$ 275.00 to do it.

Savio.

Reply To Post

4. by chalazon
    (547 posts)

15 years ago

sounds like your tech knows what it's all about..good work!

Reply To Post

1. by phlip773
      (10 posts)

15 years ago

I was pretty excited about it. I was frustrated about the neck not fitting like I thought it would, and being told that it was an easy adjustment. I found out later that most meant for the 62 alto.

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
        (547 posts)

15 years ago

keep, a good relationship with that tech...sounds like he knows his stuff..make him your friend.

Reply To Post

2. by ngky7
      (3 posts)

15 years ago

i heard that removing the rubber rod octave and put some slim straw and putting back the rubber it will extend it.. a quite fix. but im not sure. hmm

Reply To Post

1. by phlip773
        (10 posts)

15 years ago

That was one of the first things we did. It worked o.k. But it made the octave key open a little slower. It also did not last for to long, with as much as I've been playing this spring.

Reply To Post

1. by DavidFreeman
          (11 posts)

15 years ago

Cool. I tried a G1 neck on my 62 alto, and didn't think it made much of a difference from the 62 neck (I only played in the lower octave to avoid the octave mechanism problem).

Reply To Post

2. by savio
        (8 posts)

10 years ago

No, no. The best solution is contact Mr. Mash in Gakkido Co., LTD ([email protected]) and buy the octave mechanism. I bought a YTS-62 G1 neck and the octave mechanism and paid for all U$180.00. See attached picture. Now my YTS-62 Purple Logo works fine withe the 2 necks: the stock and the G1.

Reply To Post

1. by saxgourmet
          (127 posts)

10 years ago

I think the G1 neck was standard on the 62 series......I'll stand for correction if I'm wrong.....if I'm right, there was no need to buy another neck that was no different....aftermarket necks almost always require some adjusting to fit an individual horn....I think the easiest solution to your problem would have been to solder a piece of hollow brass tubing over the existing floating arm and merely bend the key on the neck to fit

STEVE GOODSON
          New Orleans
          www.nationofmusic.com

Reply To Post

1. by savio
            (8 posts)

10 years ago

No. The G1 neck only accompanied the newest 62 one (2000 'til 2011/2012). The  older 62 (like the mine, 1984) came with another neck, older model, darker sound.
            The way I did is the best way, believe.

Reply To Post