Saxophone Forum

by foncevent
(1 post)
15 years ago

New Preformance Series Eb Alto Sax

Allright, I got a scholarship to college for my alto sax playing. The only problem is that for the last 6 years I have been playing my rent-to-buy student series sax, and they told me that I really need to buy a preformance series sax. Now I have played some preformance series saxs before and found them to be amazing, but neither I nor my parents have had or most likely ever will have that kind of money... so does anybody know of a good sax that is kinda on the cheaper side. I mean I'm a starving college student for gods sake.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by paul_matulef
    (2 posts)

15 years ago

Re: New Preformance Series Eb Alto Sax

You're kidding right? You just got a scholarship and saved you and your family countless thousands of dollars over 4 years and you are bitching about having to pay for a saxophone? So first question is: Are you really serious about the sax, or is this just a cool way to get into college? Kind of like a sports scholarship for something like sofball that you'll never use in your professional career. In that case, you may be able to find something for a little over a thousand bucks that may be ok. I'm hearing great things about antigua soprano's for the money, but that's not an alto, so check one out for yourself. Also hearing good things about the P. Mauriant horns (also from Taiwan) but I personally feel they are WAY overpriced for an asian horn, so don't believe their hype. If it were me, I might look for a good used pro-line Yamaha. As long as you are on sax-quest, check it out. Not to promote other companies, but you can get a year no-interest financing (as long as its paid off in year or you get reamed by high cumulative interest, you could look at companies like Woodwind and Brasswind. They may have some flexibility on their posted prices, so don't be afraid to negotiate. Though I might gather you could get lower prices ellswhere if you didn't finance your horn. That said, if this is your career, then don't screw around and get a good horn. Don't compromise and you won't regret it as a good horn can last you a lifetime, even if you end up becoming an accountant and playing on the weekends. In that case don't hesitate to check at a selmer too. Maybe a good older one. In the mean time, we all know the economy is rough right now, but have you thought about getting a job this summer before going to college? And don't hesitate to look into playing some kinds of music that are profitable. Maybe you could do some shows and get involved in (I hate to even suggest this) a....wedding band. Your sax will be the best investment you ever make, so don't screw around.

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
      (547 posts)

15 years ago

Re: New Preformance Series Eb Alto Sax

most excellent advice on the part of Mr. Matulef. Used Selmers and Yamahas from the 80's and 90's are a good bet if in good condition. good luck.

Reply To Post