Saxophone Forum

by ericadamico
(1 post)
15 years ago

Vintage Sax vs. Modern Sax for young beginning player

My son is 12 and has been playing a Jupiter student sax for 8 months. His instructor says he's ready for a professional mouthpiece as well as a better sax. He is recommending a vintage Buescher. I don't really know much about saxophones and don't know if my son would be better off with a new modern sax. What are the pros and cons to a vintage sax vs. a modern one. And do you think my son may be too new to the whole sax thing to even change right now.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by cuber
    (653 posts)

15 years ago

Re: Vintage Sax vs. Modern Sax for young beginning player

vintage saxes can be finicky. for a beginner a modern sax is better, due to things like smoother keywork and plays in tune easier. mouthpeice-wise, an ottolink or a meyer would probably be the biggest bang for your buck. (even though i personally dont like the new meyers, its nice to try as much as possible)

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
      (930 posts)

15 years ago

Cuber is right. Modern horns are much better for beginning band students because of the reasons he mentioned. What I would wonder about is the band instructor who says your child needs a vintage pro horn. By any chance is the instructor trying to sell you something? My Grand Daughter plays sax in a beginners class in Maryland. Her instructor never noticed that she was useing a guitar strap for a sax strap. I caught the mistake when we were together Thanksgiving. I am a longtime sax player and I also had to show her how to put the horn in her mouth correctly. Their are good teachers and bad teachers. There are smart teachers and dumb teachers. I wonder how some colleges can graduate some of the idiots that they do. Oh well............Kelsey
      Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by cuber
        (653 posts)

15 years ago

i read somewhere the buescher BIg B is a good classical horn, he could mean that. but even if he did, modern horns are better for beginners.

Reply To Post

2. by se.hornrepair
      (5 posts)

15 years ago

Agreed with the above posters. As long as the Jupiter is in good repair it'll serve your son better then a vintage horn would. At this stage a good mouthpiece upgrade will serve a much better purpose then a horn upgrade with either Meyer or Otto Link being the top two choices IMO.

Reply To Post