Saxophone Forum

by bronzemonkey992
(22 posts)
20 years ago

Key Clamps?

IF I'M TRYING TO KEEP MY HORN IN TIP TOP SHAPE...WOULD YOU SUGGEST KEY CLAMPS? or do they damage the springs? because key clamps would keep them bent all the time? WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by SaxMan
    (559 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Key Clamps?

Short of running your sax over with a kenworth, there is nothing more advers than key clamps. They keep your pads in adjustment, but they make the seat deeper, and deeper, and deeper and eventually kill the pad - approx 5 years. The pad is supposed to seal with light pressure. Any new horn you will buy, will go out of adjustment a few times before it stays, then after a while, it will NEVER go out. My first C mel has 30 or 40 year old pads in it, and it has never needed reseating. The clamps also make your horn much less responsive with the deeper seat. Take anyone's advice that knows what they are talking about, and dont buy them. You see how steve goodson recomends them? he also has done thousands in damages to customers horns over the years - one isntance being a couple holes in the side of a VI neck, another, sending a different sax back to the customer without the mouthpiece in the same case it went to him....the stories on him are out there if you look for steve goodson and sucks in a search field or soemthing like that.

Reply To Post

1. by Hexaclon
      (90 posts)

20 years ago

Dude.. My story is different, my clamps have not made any damage. Well at least I have the clamps set at low preasure. Never had any problems with them and im going for 2 years with my sax wearing those clamps. Bought my clamps at ebay. $15!

Reply To Post AIM

1. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

20 years ago

Seems like clamps at a low pressure wouldn't do any harm, but I'd be sure that the horn was bone dry before using them. I could see where prolonged use of really firm clamps would gradually affect the action and relative pad heights - perhaps requiring more frequent adjustment - which I think goes against why you might use them in the first place. Well installed pads should seal without springs anyhow. I do "gravity only" pad seating so finger pressure is not a requirement. So maybe key clamps compensate for a less than exceptional pad job? I use the magnetic internal clamp on my III. A neat gadget. You insert it through the body and it pulls on the resonators with magnets. Low pressure and keeps things from rattling around. I don't use a padsaver simultaneously, but I usually spend about 5 minutes swabbing everything out before putting it back in the case. I really can't attest to whether key clamps make a difference or not, but my horn came with the magnetic thing so I just continue to use it.

Reply To Post

1. by bronzemonkey992
          (22 posts)

20 years ago

Where can I go to read about the magnetic key clamps you recommended?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

I'm not sure if/where you can buy the magnetic internal clamp. I've actually never seen it mentioned on any board or website before. Maybe Google can help? My III came with it, and I didn't even know about such a thing. It is marked "Selmer", so it is apparently one of their own products. Maybe someone who works at a store can order one? Sorry I don't have more specific info. It is a flat metal rod with magnets on it and a heavy plastic/rubber coating over the whole thing. A few felts are on it as well so it doesn't really touch the inside of the body - it grabs onto the resonators and hangs on tight. To take it out, you just give it a little twist and they all "magically" let go. What's nice is that there's no contact with the body - inside or out. I've heard of traditional key clamps marring the finish. Don't know if that really happens or not - just heard of it happening.

Reply To Post

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

20 years ago

I clamped the repad I did on the Yamaha overnight just to develop a seat in the pad, other than replacing a pad, I've never needed to clamp. I've heard a few actual technicians comment that constant clamping drives the seat too deep, thus creating a leak, however, wouldn't the constant spring pressure from closed keys cause be the same thing in effect?

Reply To Post

3. by SaxMan
        (559 posts)

20 years ago

no, clamps squeeze the crap out of the pad...the springs dont. clamping a pad shut while the pads cool is ok, with adjustments you do that sometimes, its only for a few hours.

Reply To Post

4. by barimachine
        (323 posts)

20 years ago

key clamps are a good thing i may not have traveled as much as pros but ive taken my sax on planes and buses alot and then dont do what saxman says he probably had bad ones but yea some crappy ones may do that

Reply To Post

5. by YanagisawA-901
        (312 posts)

20 years ago

i dont like them, theyre creepy, plus it makes your sax not sit properly in its case, just take good care of your sax, let it live, letting it break in and see a lil ruffness will help him out. just get a pull swab to get the shit outta ur sax after u play, and maybe get a shoveit for after that, but dont just get the shoveit and put it in there right after u play, get a swab to get all the moisture out, shovits may soak up the moisture, but they still keep it inside the sax, not good. polish it every time you use it, or every other time, your fingers and the sweat in them contain acid that tarnishes your laquer super quick try not to scratch your baby either, lol

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ