Saxophone Forum

by Hexaclon
(90 posts)
20 years ago

Tips for the dream sound...

Well.. I'm looking for this sound. I want it to be dark, but I want the low notes to have that vibration background ( I should hear the reed vibrating) Like Dexter Gordon or like a trombone. The high notes should sound sharp (not talking about the pitch) I want them sharp but with that smoth jazzy feel, like David Sanchez!! Can you guys give me some tips :) I know I'm wishing 4 allot. I'm curently using a Dukoff D9 and La Voz reeds Med. Thanks Peace, Love & Music

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Tips for the dream sound...

I think you're looking for a large chambered piece with some moderate baffle. Vandoren Javas are good for that. If you're used to the Dukoff D9, then a Jumbo Java might even be what you want - it all depends where you are coming from and where you want to go to. The Jumbos really scream if you want them to, but if you get them with a long facing and large tip opening, they can be tamed.

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
      (586 posts)

20 years ago

find out how to change your sound using your mind, throat, tounge, and air. Yes a new mouthpiece would help, but that's only half of the problem. If you're still playing the horn the same you will never get the sound you want even from a new piece. most of it is in your mind. oh and another thing... your hobbies, Practice sax, transcribe, hear music and read the Saxquest discussion forum. you're 1 i5, go out and flirt, drink, get into trouble, party... don't just limit yourself to music or music related things. Ok maybe you shouldn't take my advice, but seriously you will be a rounder person if you explore differnt things or at least expose yourself to them.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

20 years ago

Good advice. Sometimes you just gotta step away and come back later. Without private instruction, chasing gear is a crap shoot.

Reply To Post

1. by Hexaclon
          (90 posts)

20 years ago

Hey, Well I', ussing the "Flat Lip" technique and it sounds biger but its still not enough. Plus my teacher gave me some exresice for opening my throat. and he told me to check out the Gonzalez reeds. About taking a break......... I don't know it doesn't feel right. It's like I go out with my friends, and the only thing I'm thinking is "Now I could be Practicing". Then sometimes I don't get the chance to practice and well the other I play like crap. Thanks allot Mario Peace,Love and Music

Reply To Post AIM

2. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

20 years ago

I'm just like you when I go out, often I say to myself "hey man, you could be playing your sax" then I have another drink. =)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by golferguy675
        (600 posts)

20 years ago

Dukoff....smooth jazz...lavoz...who the hell do you want to sound like, Kenny Gee?!?! And don't get a Jumbo Java, those things peel paint off of the walls. Just buy a link or something normal, and quit depending on the hardware for the sound...too many people do that now a days. Just play some jazz ballads, those are great for working on subtone, and tone.

Reply To Post

2. by TONY HOLLY
      (10 posts)

18 years ago

The sound your looking for my friend is not in your horn or in your mouthpiece. It's in your head. Ok, your choice of horn and mouthpiece will help you to get the sound you want a bit easier. But if both are of good quality they won't make a vast difference. I'm afraid there is no quick fix to what your looking for...only time will get you to the sound you want. It's the age old thing....practice practice practice. The sound is there waiting in your head. It'll come out sooner or later. Good luck in your quest my friend.

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

18 years ago

FYI everyone, the last post before todays was on on 9/1/2004 this is not a new thread. (not that I don't like people posting on old threads, but sometimes it gets out of hand)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by TONY HOLLY
          (10 posts)

18 years ago

Sorry my friend..I'm new here...don't quite understand. I presume that your post was in reply to mine. What was the problem?

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
            (586 posts)

18 years ago

oh no problem at all, it's just that sometimes (mostly on other forums) someone would dig up a really old thread and people would respond to it as if it was a new discussion. I just wanted to make it clear that this is old, the people who responded before may or may not remeber, and the person who started this thread may or may not remeber. But it was a harsh day at work yesterday, so maybe a little of that carried though on here in my reply before.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by TONY HOLLY
            (10 posts)

18 years ago

Again excuse my ignorance. Are you one of the sites moderators 'cos being new in here I still don't know who's who. Hope you have a better day today my friend. Cheers...Tony Holly.

Reply To Post

3. by Seano
            (132 posts)

18 years ago

Hexaclon, If you have knowledge of the overtone series try to imitate the sounds of your overtones with the normal fingerings. this exercise improves the fullness and quality of tone and projection to a great extent. If you do not know what overtones are, I am sure there are a few discussions on this site about them, if not, check out www.petethomas.co.uk. Good Luck! Sean

Reply To Post

4. by Seano
            (132 posts)

18 years ago

WHOA! I just realised that post was from 2004! LoL. Sorry. Oh well, that exercise does help quite alot.

Reply To Post