Saxophone Forum

by jdaddy
(11 posts)
15 years ago

Great players to look up to

Hi, I'm in high school and I'm a huge jazz guy. I feel like I love listening to the greats (Cannonball, Coltrane, and Bird) so much that I'm not getting exposed enough to other players. I know their the greats and that I sould be listening to them but I feel like I need some more influences. Anyone recommened any players to start listening to? It would be great if they are modern but feel free to just post any names that you like.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by LC
    (25 posts)

14 years ago

Re: Great players to look up to

Me

Reply To Post

1. by jdaddy
      (11 posts)

14 years ago

thanks dude

Reply To Post

2. by saxnforjesus
    (5 posts)

14 years ago

Try listening to Denis Solee. Very well experienced Jazz sax player. He lives in Nashville and has several CD's on the village Square label. Down to earth guy too. I think you will enjoy his music.

Reply To Post

3. by knorter
    (205 posts)

14 years ago

Michael Brecker, Bob Mintzer, Joe Henderson, Wayne Shorter, Kenny Garrett, Mark Turner, Antonio Hart, Gary Bartz, Gary Campbell, Walt Weiskopf, Eric Alexander, and Rich Perry. That should get you started. Good luck. They are all wonderful players. Let me know who you like after you check out everyone's suggestions, that can help direct me to more players for you. Kristy

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by jdaddy
      (11 posts)

14 years ago

Hey Kristy, Thanks a lot. I followed you advice and I bought a Brecker CD and he is insane. Thanks for your help. I cant wait to get more of his music. ps. Antonio Hart is a badass too. thanks again

Reply To Post

4. by jdcsax
    (14 posts)

14 years ago

Kristy has a great list, but here's a few more....Phil Woods, Dave Pietro, Joshua Redman, Hank Mobly, Sonny Stitt, Donny McCaslin Jerry Bergonzi, Chris Potter. I highly recommend Chris Potter's newest album "Ultrahang". And the good thing is that there are video's of most of these guys on Youtube. Hopefully this helps. -JDC

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
      (653 posts)

14 years ago

chris potter, in my opinion, sounds and plays like coltrane. If i want to listen to coltrane, ill listen to coltrane. i dont see why people think he is the "bees knees" hes just imitating coltrane. ive heard it before... id much rather listen to something new than 100 peoples versions of coltrane.

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
        (930 posts)

14 years ago

Again Cuber we agree!! I think it's the way Jazz is being taught in Colleges that's turning lots of young players into Coltrane clones. Lots of the kids who are in the Big Band college scene all sound alike to me. Trouble is, Coltrane stuff doesn't fit everything. Coltrane wasn't a big band sax player. Chris Potter is a wonderful player who has been influenced by Coltrane. All the older guys like me were influenced by Bird and also Trane. It's OK to be influenced but you need to make the music your own.....Kelsey
        Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by jdcsax
        (14 posts)

14 years ago

I can see where there are similarities and influences from Coltrane. But I wouldn't say his playing and sound are exactly like Coltrane. So many great players out there model their style after the masters before them. Stitt to Bird is another one that comes to mind. I would say he's a Stitt is more carbon copy of Bird than Potter is to Coltrane. Potter IS a great player and IS influenced by Coltrane. He plays with same energy and fire but to say they are exactly the same is stretching it. And who out there can be truly qualified as "new"? Who out there doesn't sound like anyone before him? Just curious....

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
          (653 posts)

14 years ago

Id say that his playing and sound is pretty damn similar to Coltranes. Kenny G doesnt remind me of anybody when i hear him. Actually, just saw him last night. hes giving away free sopranos in a promo event. I didnt win..... and on the college thing- In my opinion, formal schooling in jazz is useful to a point; but by the time someone hit college, it becomes detrimental. Virtually everyone new, that has gone through a college, is extremely technical during improv. I dont hear any melodic-ness (cant think of the actual word) to their playing. Is it a good technical solo? yes. Does the average listener want to listen to or for that matter understand those technicalities? no, no they dont. I think for jazz to make a comeback, people have got to improv in a much more melodic state of mind.

Reply To Post

2. by kneejerk52
          (397 posts)

14 years ago

i believe what you are is how you will play. I don't think you can learn or be taught to sound like somebody, but who YOU sound like can be enhanced by realizing where your sound came from, what you were or are infulenced by and what ablities you have. not everyone has the dexterity to play like bird, or the passion coltrane got when he was high, you can't learn that. what you can learn is tunes, i agree with cuber 100% and i was told once many years ago by Mr. Phil Woods " learn to play some melodies and you will be fine". you have to know the songs the standards and people need to be able to reconize them, whether you are technically correct or not, in order for them to appreciate them. have a nice nite.

Reply To Post