Saxophone Forum

by thesaxman82Z
(3 posts)
14 years ago

finding my sound

Hi, I'm a 14 year old Tenor Saxophonist I've been playing for some 4 or 5 years now and I'm searchingfor my sound. I recently got a Yamaha YTS82Z and I'm loving it, I'm noticing I'm getting a more jazzy tone, I'm using a 3 Hemke Reed right now and I'm working towards a 4. What should I get next to emphasize my Jazzy side? Should I work on my skills or is it hardware?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jdcsax
    (14 posts)

14 years ago

Re: finding my sound

There are a number of different things one can do to emphasize/enhance a jazz sound. If you're looking for a specific "jazz" sound, I would recommend listening to jazz tenor players. Not just modern players(i.e. Brecker, Redman, Alexander, Potter to name a few), but the pioneers(i.e. Coltrane, Gordon, Young, Getz, Mobly.) Each one of these players has their own unique sound. Some are more edgy than others. And a lot of the players sound evolved over their career. Their sound is slightly different from recording to recording depending on when it was recorded, but their is still an essence to their sound that is unmistakable. I would recommend finding some players sound you really like and try emulating them. You can do this by transcribing them. This will help guide you to your own "sound." This may involve a number of things including getting a new mouthpiece. That is one of the pieces of hardware that can drastically change the sound. Good luck! -JD

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
      (653 posts)

14 years ago

not to be a gloomy gus, but i fail to see how transcribing anything will make you sound any different

Reply To Post

2. by newreedsyndrome
    (343 posts)

14 years ago

working your way to a 4? dont do that. a harder reed does not equal a better sound. if you are comfortable playing a 3, stick with a 3 and dont add too many variables. experiment with different embosures and vocal positions

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
      (930 posts)

14 years ago

Get a new mouthpiece and play with a softer reed. Playing sax isn't weight lifting or a competitive sport!!!!!
      Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by chalazon
        (547 posts)

14 years ago

Kelsey speaks the truth..a harder reed is not more manly...as Sonny Rollins put it, "why bust your chops?" I use 2.5's and get a pretty decent sound for an old guy..it's about your sound, and what works for you.

Reply To Post