Saxophone Forum

by coolnotes
(2 posts)
14 years ago

tuning mark 6

hi my name is allan and i am new to saxquest I have enjoyed reading the posts so far as I have a mark 6 (73000 silver plated) which plays beautifully except for being sharp on E.So far I have tuned it with my mouth but it is annoying having to do so .Is there a way to fix the problem?thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by MartinMods
    (63 posts)

14 years ago

Re: tuning mark 6

I assume you mean E2 (E in the second octave), that the surrounding notes D2, Eb2, and F2 are OK. 1. Have a qualified teacher evaluate your playing habits. 2. Try a different mouthpiece to see if the design of yours is accentuating the problem. 3. Some players use tuning crescents in the E tone hole. (see www.musicmedic.com for a description of cork crescents or email info@martinmods for info on brass, body contour tuning crescents) 4. A bore insert (a blob of hot glue at the right spot, probably just above the E palm key tone hole will lower the E2 and not affect E1.) 5. See someone who knows how to analyze and align the resonances of the instrument. A sharp B2 and/or E3 harmonic can make the E2 (overblown E1) sharp. #3 and #4 may improve the situation but may only be only compensating for the combined effects of other problems, while adding more little problems of their own. In person is best. Email [email protected] to set up a free Skype session.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by coolnotes
      (2 posts)

14 years ago

Re: tuning mark 6

thanks martinmods forgot to mention that i have tried different mouthpieces without result. I will experiment with option 3 when I get some time cheers

Reply To Post