Saxophone Forum

by YanagisawA-901
(312 posts)
20 years ago

H to the ELP!!!

haha ok, i sed i had vibrato down, and i tryed usin it the other day, and nothing was happening!!! haha i think i was doin somthin but it wasnt noticable..cuz see my tone is really bright and rigid right now, and im workin on depth, and warmth, and darkness in my tone, its coming along descent. and i know, that vibrato turns your tone from like...1dementional to like, 3 dementional just through that alone, it makes your tone thick and enjoyable...i really need to learn how to sustain good vibrato by tuesday, so i need some help a lot, quick tips?? anything!! this is how im workin it right now.. i know u hafta make a " waawaawaawaa" sound with your jaw, and thats about it, and i know theres other ways other than air vibrato.. i work with a dr. beat at about 100 and use pulses of "quater notes" eigth, triple, and eventually 16th, but tahts not getting me anywhere.. HELP!!!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by chiamac
    (586 posts)

20 years ago

Re: H to the ELP!!!

ummmm.... take your thumb and stick it in your mouth, then kinda lightly chew on it... that's one way of doing vibrato and it's worked for me ( I've even got complements on it) why are you worrying about 1/8, 1/4, or 1/16th notes and crap like that? In order to use it naturally you're going to have to hear it in your head naturally and be able to pull it out when you need it. INHO you start doing it too a metronome (sp?) you're going to lose some of the natural feeling that vibrato creates... *ps I wouldn't use it unless you have a feeling for it... or else you run the risk of screwing someting up. But that's just me. (-language on 9/4/2004 12:29:17 PM.)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by karebear1012
    (395 posts)

20 years ago

yeah, my teacher told me to do these crappy exercises to help me with vibrato, and I didn't get it at all! But then, my band director just said to just feel the music, and kind of move your bottom lip back and forth on the reed. Eventually, you'll just naturally do it faster and stronger. With that advice, I learned vibrato in 1 day! Hope this helps, Kara

Reply To Post

3. by YanagisawA-901
    (312 posts)

20 years ago

well i can naturally add vibrato to classical pieces and like, percy grainger kinda . but were playin fast swing pieces, that go like 220 on the metronom..were only takin it like 150 right now, but he wants us to use vibrato in it, and bend a lot of notes, ideas? (-language on 9/4/2004 12:30:34 PM.)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by saxgrobie
      (86 posts)

20 years ago

Eeek, I hate bending! Vibrato on a swing piece? Whatever . . . practice practice practice. And that's all I got to say about that. Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Saxman2200
        (64 posts)

20 years ago

I never learned vibrato through exercises, I just kind of did it. I did alot of listening in my first couple of years, and that was one of the things I picked up on. Most people say that they use their jaw, but I kind of use a combination of my jaw and my air stream. You've just got to hear it in your head, and then do what you hear.

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

20 years ago

To add to what Kelsey said, no one uses vibrato in jazz anymore. If you're teacher is telling you to, he is a moron. The only really exceptable vibrato in jazz right now is tail vibrato, where you use it at the end of a long note.

Reply To Post

2. by YanagisawA-901
          (312 posts)

20 years ago

yea, im pretty sure thats what he wants, just like a lil twist at the end of all dotted notes, or anything longer than a half note. i know for a fact he doesnt want straight up vibrato thru the whole note, thats stupid as hell. so for vibrato at the end, just ad a lil of a jazzy feel to it with yer jaw? what do ya think??

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ