Saxophone Forum

by cuber
(653 posts)
14 years ago

classical mouthpeice

Im looking for a classical mouthpeice. the selmer mps. ive tried give me a weird noise at high C when i start to push air through the horn. is a jody jazz classic any good? what about a caravan?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by SuperSax875
    (55 posts)

14 years ago

Re: classical mouthpeice

The jody jazz classic is more of a dark jazz piece than a classical piece. I didn't like the caravan myself, it didn't fit me very well, but I've given it to a friend that has a wonderful sound with it. What selmer pieces have you tryed? And what other pieces do you regularly play on? Going from a round to square chambered piece can sometimes have a weird sound if your not used to it. It could also be the difference in the tip opening. I use a vintage selmer larry teal and it has helps me get a very pure, dark, and deep sound.

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
      (653 posts)

14 years ago

ive tried a S80 and Soloist and have a soloist-style shank thing thats not a soloist. Ive also got an old meyer that sees a lot of use. what makes the jody jazz a dark jazz piece opposed to a classical piece? why didnt you like the caravan?

Reply To Post

1. by SuperSax875
        (55 posts)

14 years ago

Those Selmers may just take a bit of getting used to to get rid of the that sound, but my recommendation would be to try the Rousseau Classic. I known a few jazz players that find the switch between they're jazz piece and the Rousseau very easy. The Jody Jazz will have a dark sound, but too much edge to be a comfortable classical piece. Its much easier to make a classical piece have a jazz sound than to make a jazz piece have a classical sound. I had a lot of trouble adjusting to the Caravan. It has a very large chamber and no baffle, so it has a very deep sound, but I had trouble keeping it pure and focused.

Reply To Post