Saxophone Forum

by mandoman
(8 posts)
20 years ago

Love it but hate it at the same time!

ok so heres the deal, Ive always enjoyed playing the saxophone, but im now entering my junior year of highschool and have NOT progressed like i wanted, anybody got an like inspiration tips. Now im being told i should get a new sax. How can i get a new sax when I dont even feel worthy of a new one yet, ya know? I mean, im ok, I made the " good " jazz band or whatever you want to call it, so im not the worst but i want to get better, anybody got any inspiration or something they want to share to get my butt on fire with the saxophone?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Love it but hate it at the same time!

Describe the amount of time you play, your practice routine, what kind of instruction you receive - any private lessons?

Reply To Post

1. by mandoman
      (8 posts)

20 years ago

well, in the school year i usally get around an hour of practice a night, and I take a one hour lesson per week taht i pay for and then a 30 to 40 minute free one with the school each week. Im playing out of patterns for jazz for improve practice and that book, by far, is the most painful excersize ive had to do. And then for some jazz songs i play out of the omni book, and then lennie niehaus intermediate jazz book. And then i do classical just from random composers. But i dont know, i just see the other sax players, some 1 or 2 years younger and they are better than me, but whatever i guess they practice like 4 hours a day or something. But progression for me is slow lately, so give me any advice ya have saxmaniac.

Reply To Post

1. by saxgrobie
        (86 posts)

20 years ago

I think you should get a new one. Don't feel bad because other people are better than you. Some people (normally the ones we hate) are just naturally good and some have to work at it. But you seem to have the drive and love to play. So why not go for it? Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

20 years ago

Well, this is kind of a hard thing to do via web dialogue, but tell me, for example, what it is that you hear others do that you wish you could do yourself? Is it their tone? Their articulation? They play runs faster/better - that sort of thing? It sounds like you have a real solid practice routine as far as dedicating time to it. There is some advice I might be able to give as to how you structure your practice time. I'm not so sure that it has as much to do with how long each practice session is as to how you spend it. I think that one hour per night is plenty sufficient for most players to progress. There could be equipment issues that are holding you back. I don't care so much what kind of horn you play, but how long have you had it (and your mouthpiece) and when is the last time it's been into the shop to be tweaked by a pro? All it takes is one subtle pad leak to hold you back in the worst way. Sounds like you're focused on jazz. Is it that you're simply wishing to improvise better?

Reply To Post

1. by mandoman
          (8 posts)

20 years ago

well, my setup is ok i suppose, i have a C* mouthpiece and i have a rovner ligature. and i had my horn worked on probably 4 or 5 months ago. Everything seems to working fine on the horn other than at times the pads stick but the good o'le dollar trick usually fixes that one. Right now i am focused on jazz and improve, i would really like to progress better on improve, and i know what to do, its just a matter of doing it in my practice routine. But alotof times i just like classical because im better at it, and i have a really good tone im told. So its more fun to play the things your good at, but there also inlies my problem and i just solved my own question in the first post. I play the things im good at more than the things im bad at, so thats probably my problem. Alrighty, thanks for the response sax manic. And thanks for the advice saxgrobie, and yes the good ones are the ones we hate, haha.

Reply To Post

2. by peter090
          (155 posts)

20 years ago

First don't judge your progress by comparing to someone else. Whether the person next to you stinks or blows the bell off the horn doesn't change how you play a bit. Record yourself when you practice and listen to it objectively. Work on your weaknesses to improve. Save a tape you like once in a while and listen to it whet it is few months old. If you've been practicing regularly you will most likely notice a lot of improvement. Often progress is slow and in small increments. The key is to stay with it.

Reply To Post

3. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

20 years ago

calm down, take a break, and give it some rest... You're not going to become the greatest sax player in 6 years (or however long you have been playing) take a look around this site... yes there are a lot of highschool kids and college students, but there are also a lot of older people who just play for fun. Playing a sax (or anything) isn't just for the short term getting girls and the spotlight in highschool, it's a lifelong hobby. so yeah, just take a break and pratice less maybe find something else to do in the mean time. Dont' burn yourself out! I did that once with clubbing... I went out every weekend for about a year, now I rarely do. I kinda miss it but I really have no ambition to go back. and with improve... listen, listen, listen, and try to feel the music. Sure it's nice to have all these tricks and licks to play. but it's also nice to be able to come up with something right then. Besides, it's more fun to listen to when the person is making it up rather than just doing something they praticed. good luck man.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

4. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

20 years ago

A C* with a rovner lig is about the worst you could do for jazz, I would imagine your tone and flexibility is frustrating you. The C* gives no freedom, and the rovners deaden your sound. Get an Otto Link or Meyer hard rubber to start out. Try a 6* first. It takes a good month or two to really get it blowing and get a noticeable difference in tone; but after that you'll be way happier.

Reply To Post

5. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

20 years ago

i just bought my sax a lil bit back but i feel maybe you should few kids actually own there own but i think it might be time im entering junior year and its ALOT harder my practicing has suffered SOOOOOO Much cuz of serious amounts of homework...

Reply To Post

6. by Spike
          (248 posts)

20 years ago

dude, what'syournmameguy. calm down like chia said. you're not doing anything wrong, you've just acheived "socratian wisdom"; you realize how much better you can be. it happens to every good player at some point, you just do what you can, and try to note your successes.

Reply To Post