Saxophone Forum

by Sarah Jeanne
(2 posts)
14 years ago

Intro. and repair question

I'm a former high school sax player who is now mom to an 11-year-old who has taken up alto sax. We have a Beuscher purchased in 1975 for $431 if I remember correctly. I also have a YAS-63 with barely a scratch on it. Jacob started the year on the Beuscher, but over the last month or so it's seen its troubles. His band director sent it to the local repair shop which called yesterday to say it needed a total re-pad at a cost of $350. It's more than I can really swing at the moment, and I'm a bit torn over what to do. I don't relish the idea of Jacob carrying the Yamaha back and forth to school, though he is a responsible kid. He's still an 11-year-old boy. It looks like I can get it re-padded from an online source for $150 to 200. Is this accurate? Is there any possibility of re-padding it myself. I figure I have a second sax to use as a guide, but I'm not the most mechanical person in the world. Do I just look for a good used student sax? Or do I let him have the Yamaha and figure I rarely play any more? Any suggestions are welcome. I'm at a loss.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by SuperSax875
    (55 posts)

14 years ago

Re: Intro. and repair question

I would not recommend that you try to re-pad it yourself. That's a job you need someone who really knows what their doing. There's a reason that it cost so much money to re-pad a horn. I'm not really an expert on online repair stores, but I wouldn't send my own horns off to something like that unless I knew I could trust them. Also, that seems a little cheap for a complete re-padding, which makes me skeptical of the quality of the repair. Regarding buying a new horn, there are a lot of really bad horns for under $350. I'd stay away from e-bay, because you never know what your going to get at that price range. I've heard good things about the Etude student horn. If your going to go with a new horn, I'd go with this. Anything cheaper will most likely be a complete waste of money. Here's a link:

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
      (930 posts)

14 years ago

Supersax is right. If it were me I would let your son play the Yamaha. They are great saxes and are pretty bullet proof. I have never heard of the YAS 63??? I know about the 61 and 62 and they are both great horns.
      Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Sarah Jeanne
        (2 posts)

14 years ago

Sorry. That was a typo. It's a YAS 62. He's played it at his concerts and at contest. He's been playing it for the last month at school with no issues. I just remember dropping my old Buescher a couple times in middle school and know I'll want to cry when he does it to the Yamaha. I'd hoped to wait until high school and turn it over to him. But I hate to buy something cheap that won't last and/or can't be repaired. It would be nice to have something he could play through middle school and then use for marching band.

Reply To Post